Try to grown some grass or weed or small flower in indoor pen , any suggestion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
south Florida
Am thinking to grown some grass , and flower in indoor pen so my star tortoise can feel more natural , and also they can eat , any suggestion ? Thanks

yoda3106

5 Year Member
RE: Try to grown some grass or weed or small flower in indoor pen , any suggestion

xXtortoiseloverXx said:
Am thinking to grown some grass , and flower in indoor pen so my star tortoise can feel more natural , and also they can eat , any suggestion ? Thanks

Hibiscus ;)

yoda3106 said:

Spider plants

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Hibiscus, spider plants, grasses, tort graze, cactus,!
For more Info. Check the star tort threads for the diets, and enclosure ideas's :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My torts LOVE St. Augustine...I bought a few 12" squares and broke them down to 2" X 2" pieces, so they could spread.

Best tip I can offer is seed your outside enclosure(s) after you bring your torts inside for the winter...by the time it's once again warm enough for them to be out, you should have a pretty lush growth.

If you plant right now, otoh, they'll just eat the tender young sproutings before they have a chance grow.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
....Or you could try this....

week 1
DSCN1068.jpg

Week 2
DSCN1068.jpg

Week 3
DSCN1193.jpg

Week 4
DSCN1304.jpg

Ummmmm maybe not it's really time consuming and you need natural Sun for it to work.

BTW.... I'm growing Burmuda grass and it only grows when the surface temps hit 75*. when the UV Bulbs hit it (with the GREAT root system that has been forming) and my low temp in the enclosure is 75* I expect excellant long term results...

Question... How do you mow the grass in a 4'x4' enclosure?;)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
For grass, I (and my tortoises seem to) prefer zoysia. For weeds, I like plantains, dandelions, and whatever invades. I like to add a type of sedum, too, as it holds a nice amount of water and my animals seem to be drawn to it preferentially. For vegetables, I very much like to use turnip. My Aldabras and Gpps seem to enjoy that. All ground is mineral-fortified prior to sowing.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
RE: Try to grown some grass or weed or small flower in indoor pen , any suggestion

Thanks guys for reply , I think I will put a small hibiscus with land grass , and this is also for they nesting .

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

xXtortoiseloverXx said:
Thanks guys for reply , I think I will put a small hibiscus with land grass , and this is also for they nesting .

Make sure the hibiscus is at least 3' tall or your torts may eat it...3' or taller, all they'll get will be dropped leaves/flowers.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida

Terry Allan Hall said:
xXtortoiseloverXx said:

Make sure the hibiscus is at least 3' tall or your torts may eat it...3' or taller, all they'll get will be dropped leaves/flowers.

yeah i will.

Status
Not open for further replies.