Tree and fertilizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocflyfish

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of the friendly help you guys have provided so far as we have setup Leo's new home.

A couple of follow up questions:

Does anyone know if the Flowering Dogwood tree is poisonous to tortoises?? I plan on planting one outside the enclosure, but the wind may blow the flowers, leaves, or berries into the enclosure.

Does anyone know a SAFE fertilizer to use for roses and also one for other flowers in my tortoise enclosure that is non-toxic to tortoises? Please list as many as you know so I can hopefully find at least one of them at my garden center…if we are lucky.

Thank you so much!

Bryan & Larina

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I am not sure of the Dogwood tree this is what I found so far;

The fruit of several species in the subgenera Cornus and Benthamidia is edible, though without much flavour. The berries of those in subgenus Swida are mildly toxic to people, though readily eaten by birds. Dogwoods are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Emperor Moth, The Engrailed, Small Angle Shades and the following case-bearers of the genus Coleophora: C. ahenella, C. salicivorella (recorded on Cornus canadensis), C. albiantennaella, C. cornella and C. cornivorella (The latter three feed exclusively on Cornus). They were used by pioneers to brush their teeth. The pioneers would peel off the bark, bite the twig and then scrub their teeth.

You can look for organic fertilizers on line and I like giveing fish to my Roses. They seem to do well with fish. I've just chopped up or ground fish and mixed it with soil. So Fish meal might work. Also If you have your torts inside their waste remains are an excellent fertilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.