Traveling with tortoise by car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have two 3 month old redfoot hatchling babies. Next weekend, I am driving from Louisiana to Wisconsin (about 18 hours) in 2 separate days. I have no choice except to bring them with me because I am going home for about 3 weeks and none of my friends know anything about reptiles (plus i am paranoid and monitor them compulsivley each day and don't trust regular pet sitters to warch them). I also have a dog will not be packing a lot because its only for 3 weeks. So basically, has anyone ever traveled with tortoises by car?

- I will be bringing their normal tubberware enclosure and heat lamp with for when we are in hotel/at home, but should they TRAVEL in that- Its hot in LA, but not so much as I drive north, will they be warm enough in the car? When we are stopped, no problem because again I will have all their crap, but just worried about the car.

I was thinking about just putting them in a small tubberware with lots of spagnum moss and covering with towel- they sleep all day anyway.... and then feeding them in the morning before i go.

Dog will prob sit in the front seat, so back seat is free.... or can put tortoises in travel cage in the front and dog in the back with their cage in the trunk

Should I get a heat pack (those things you crack open to keep your hands warm) or will they be okay. They are pretty oblivious little creatures so I cna't imagine it would stress them too bad, but just wondering what everybody thinks

Thanks a lot!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have had several tortoises travel with us in the semi truck, when I ride with my husband. It can work with no problem, if you have out going animals to start with. Shy animals seem to get more stressed with the movement. Also these should be animals who are eating well for you, just in case they do go off food for awhile due to stress.

Where to place them will depend on several things. How warm will you be keeping the car? You don't want them sitting in drafts nor where the heat of the sun might start beating down on them. Normally, especially if you keep them covered with a towel, our cars are kept at a warm enough temp. It is wise to have a thermometer/gun to keep check on those temps however, especially since your dealing with youngsters where temp changes are a really big deal.

I would take along a heat pack or two just incase your car breaks down and it gets too cool for them.

Be sure when in the motel room to not allow them to crawl on the floors (never know what chemicals are used). Also be extra careful that when you have them in the room, the dog can't get to them while your showering, sleeping, or whatever.

You also want them some place secure, so if you do a sudden stop, they won't go flying.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
These guys are eating well and exploring alot in their enclosure and have been going outside a few hours a day, so they're pretty functional. One is more outgoing than the other, but he's eating well.

I was thinking about them putting on the floor of the car, but the air conditioning is there, so I think I am going to belt them into the front seat (bungee) so that I can keep an eye on them. How cold is too cold for the car- I would think it would always be above 75º in the car.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Where does one by heat packs?

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I dont think you need to strap them in to the front seat. Just get a secure plastic container solid color not clear. One that is big enough not to fly all over the place in the car. Put like a couple old T shirts in there are crumpled up.The T shirts will do three things. Keep the tortoise from sliding around in the container, absorb any poop and keep them warm( Especally if you use a heat pack). Pop some holes along the top of the container, put the lid on and you are good to go. Just bring a couple dishes so you can give them water and food once you stop.

I do the Tshirt thing every time I have to keep my hatchlings inside. They hide in the folds of the shirt and feel secure.

Hope this along with all the other good tips helps ! Enjoy your trip

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
you are living in louisiana? where?

this is the first person I heard who was in louisiana too.

Status
Not open for further replies.