Travel to vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
I'm taking my 4 year old russian to her vet appointment. Since I just adopted her and the person lived close to me im wondering what you do to take them to the vet. It's like 20-30 minutes away. Will she be ok in her soak bin for the trip? I live in Rhode Island its its not cold but not hot either. its prob 60-65 today. So were looking at like an hour or more out of the heat. I'm sure the vet has something to heat her up if needed.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I guess you could use a shoe box size container or something small with a kitchen towel. You could put uncooked white rice in a sock and heat it up in the micro and put it under a kitchen towel. Honestly, I think she will be fine in those temps. If you feel she will get cold put the heat on in the car. Do you have heated seats?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shouldn't be a problem at all for your tortoise to be at room temp for a few hours.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
If it's cold I put her on the floor of my truck and turn the floor heat on. I take mine in a 10 gallon plastic aquarium with a few towels.

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
I have a dish tub like you use in the sink i use for soaks. since it was really sunny i just put her on the seat with a towell on her. she was in the sun the whole trip and i sweated to death with the windows closed but she did well and the vet said she was the most tame tortoise she has ever treated. My son met her tonight for the 1st time. Since she is a mutual pet for us. So I wanted him to name her. He's 4 so I had a list of great names him to pick one if he came up with some crazy name. But he saw her and said Polka dot and its because she had that pattern on her back. Then he says and we can call her dot like the girl in my school

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
We have a pet store near by that has a room of them that are thier pets. I would go and visit a few times a year but never thought i could have one since I thought they all got huge. Being a single dad I wanted a family pet and he came every week and saying i want a turtle do i brought him to that store to see the painter and red eared sliders and he saw the tortoises and said I WANT ONE OF THOSE!! So I started talking to the guy and I suggested a Russian since they stay around 8" and I knew it was what I needed to do. I got her Wednesday from a family that got it for their daughter and she got bored and went to them and said she loved the tortoise but was not spending the time with her that she needs (pretty mature for 8) but the dad saw my post on craigs list saying I wanted to buy equipment and a Russian. He knew that she would go to a good home so she gave her to me for free. I took her to the vet today to have nails and her beak trimmed and have her poop tested but the vet said she was the most tame tortoise she has ever treated

Status
Not open for further replies.