Toys?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Any ideas for enrichment? My guys play with a small ball- but I feel like they are missing something... any ideas?
I hate to curb your enthusiasm, but...it's my understanding that tortoises don't really play, with balls or anything else.

In reality, they see the ball as something to be removed from their territory, hence the pushing. Instead of being a toy, the ball is actually a stressor to your tort.

How about "hiding" food around the enclosure, or hanging a delectable leaf from above, so they have to reach for it. Or hang it above a substrate "mountain", so they must climb.

They are food driven creatures. Play is not in their vocabulary.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
I’m still a newbie to tortoise ownership but got great ideas from members about enriching his enclosure.
I give him food that is hard to eat, so like the end of the chicory or leave some food whole or in large pieces. I hang some food around his enclosure or put some in places he has to climb or try harder to find. I’ve got a dog treat ball thing that food in that means he had to stretch and bend and just try that little bit harder to get he food out.
Others have recommended different places to hide or dig.
A variety of different substrates, heights and depths in the enclosure. Plenty of plants both living and not, although I’ve not had much success with the living plants as yet so I’m sure someone could advise.
IMG_1550303206.499040.jpg

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
In reality, they see the ball as something to be removed from their territory, hence the pushing.

I think that is a natural way for them. Instead of going around something moving it is easier for them. Doing natural things is good exercise for the body and brain. I leave things around for Little Alice to make life less monotonous. She has a bowling ball and rubber ball that she moves around at will. Sometimes she walks around them and climbs over the rubber one. I also supply her with large culvert pipe that she climbs through, around and moves at will. I will add another larger one that will mount over the first one. for her to got over a bridge, so to speak. She also has a large ramp to get into her condo outside. She really loves that. I add food or the plastic ball in the room that she lets the ball go down the ramp.

Instead of being a toy, the ball is actually a stressor to your tort.

I do not believe balls cause stress in a sully..it's what they do...it's part of their life...moving things around and digging. I think it probably feels good to do these things.

How about "hiding" food around the enclosure, or hanging a delectable leaf from above, so they have to reach for it. Or hang it above a substrate "mountain", so they must climb. They are food driven creatures. Play is not in their vocabulary.

That is a very good idea. i will use this soon. I love to add more things for Little Alice to keep her busy. Thanks..

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I do not believe balls cause stress in a sully..it's what they do...it's part of their life...moving things around and digging.

You may be correct. I have never kept a sully, but am "friends" with one. Maybe the destruction he can wreak is fun for him, and he certainly plays with his rock! I'm sure he considers that fun!

I've just never seen anything that looks like play from my DT. Maybe I shouldn't have generalized all species.

Thanks for your post!

(BTW, I'm from York. Spent my first 50 years there.)