Enrichment Play Time

Mamadee

It's me again, the noob.

What kind of enrichment do you provide for your Sulcata tortoises? I have seen videos of them playing with balls. For Mr. Turtle (Yes, I know he's not a turtle but that's the name he came with and knows), who is 2 ft+ long, 40+ pounds and about 14 years old, what kind of ball would you recommend and how would I get him started playing with it. He pops back in his shell at anything that approaches his front. Is there something else that would be better for an enrichment activity?

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 65

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My leopard likes walking through a nylon pop up kitty play tunnel, he will do this several times until he gets feed up; he will also push it about - but suppose you'd need a child sized version - Ikea?

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
Mine ran from balls initially, but he loves them now. He has 2- one red and one yellow and they just came from a quarter machine at a pizza place! He pushes them and chases them and moves them allaround. Sometimes they are in his hide, sometimes they are floating in his water bowl! They only way they could get there is if he put them there because there is a 1.5 inch lip on the bowl!!!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Mama always said that there is no such thing as a dumb question...

Tuleo isn't quite 2 yet and looks at me like I am daft when I try and introduce any type of enrichment toys to him. He turns right around and walks off in the other direction. I would definitely try balls though. Maybe thrift stores have some? I have always thought about hanging Tuleos food (using food/greens as the "string" so it is safe) so he has to work to get it...

Myroli

My Ki freaked out when I tried putting a little plastic cat toy ball in his enclosure, he wouldn't stop passing around his enclosure and trying to get out till I took it away

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Being sort of a Noob too. I observe this guy likes to fight his way through obstacles. Shrubbery, logs, anything he can size up and say "hey I can plow through you". There are plenty of easier options but he prefers the narrow less traveled roads. Maybe yours will like to push things around, aside and apart just for fun too.

karabeth316

i have also wanted to get a ball for Edgar. Do they like solid ones, or ones with holes? I got this one but dont want him to get stuck with his arms. Thought?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431814420.473748.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Please take this with a grain of salt, it is oly my opinion

I don't think torts need or seek out toys. I've seen vids of a big Sulcata pushing a ball around while the owers laughed and kept tossing it back at him., Ive also seen them chase a cat. It looks to us like they are playing like a puppy. But if you think about thier wild evironments, thier nature, it could be something else not so fun; pushing out a rival. A ball moves and is round like they are. I suspect they see it as something not supposed to be there. I've see a male Sully humping a shoe too - but he was't playing LOL

If you wat to add interest you can do it with sloping ground, grass,plants and natural wood.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I've tried putting a ball in my tortoises enclosure and she would accidentally bump into it and retreat into her shell. It was more of a scary obstacle to her than it was a toy.

I agree with Alaskamike about the balls being a "rival", I bet you guys have seen that video on youtube where a tortoise is playing ball with a dog, and the tortoise gets pretty vicious about it and eventually bites the dog. To me it's like that tortoise is marking his territory. It's funny to us but not to them, as it can get very stressful.