Totally new turtle owner in Texas.

Kimberly24

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello,
We just purchased 2 hatchling sulcatas for our family. I am finding a lot of very valuable information here. Thank you.
Kimberly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kimberly!

You may experience a bit of trouble trying to keep two tortoises together. Seldom does 'two' work out. You can have three or more, but two always ends up with a dominant and a submissive. The submissive will try to stay out of the dominant's way, stays hiding, eats less, grows slowly or not at all, and may even eventually die. If you want two tortoises, then set up two entirely separate habitats for them.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Kimberly, welcome from Austin area! Where in Texas are you? I keep the Redfooted. I love the sulcata too, but living in suburbs decided on smaller species.

Kimberly24

Texas
Welcome to the Forum, Kimberly!

You may experience a bit of trouble trying to keep two tortoises together. Seldom does 'two' work out. You can have three or more, but two always ends up with a dominant and a submissive. The submissive will try to stay out of the dominant's way, stays hiding, eats less, grows slowly or not at all, and may even eventually die. If you want two tortoises, then set up two entirely separate habitats for them.

Thank you. I was planning on getting one, but hubby and son talked me into 2. I can easily have 2 separate enclosures, but if hubby sees this post, he will probably try to talk me into 2 more. Lol

Jtort1

Yvonne is right on the money! Keeping two together is a bad idea! I'm glad you have space to separate them:)
Best of luck to you and your new babies!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! I'm originally from the Longview area but will be moving to Paris in just over a month!