torts on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobovasco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central Florida
hey everyone, i was just wondering how safe it is to get a tort from someone on craigslist, its a small redfoot and looks fine for 45 but the guy was also selling a Leo for 75, no cages or anything. could it be a pet store or someone who didnt want them?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pet/2265079662.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pet/2264292052.html

also looks like its 2 different leos instead of just one.

the leo is sold but i kinda wanna get the redfoot to put in with my sulcatas in the wading pool

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Well first off I would not recommend mixing a redfoot together with sulcatas at any age, they have different care requirements and would never be seen together in the wild as they are from different continents. Also, the price of 45 dollars for a hatchling or near hatchling seems awful cheap. That photo looks like it may be a generic photo that was stolen from the internet so maybe the redfoot he is selling is actually older.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Craigslist has lots of scams.. but lots of good too.. DO NOT send money or pay shipping.. do local buys only
If you can provide, then do it.. but dont mix them. Seperate enclosures..

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
If you are close enough to go get a look at them before handing over any cash - I say why not? I have bought some wonderful tortoises off of craigslist from good people. I have also traveled quite a distance just to find sad, sick tortoises - which I bought anyway because I couldn't stand to leave them there suffering!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jeffbens0n said:
Well first off I would not recommend mixing a redfoot together with sulcatas at any age, they have different care requirements and would never be seen together in the wild as they are from different continents. Also, the price of 45 dollars for a hatchling or near hatchling seems awful cheap. That photo looks like it may be a generic photo that was stolen from the internet so maybe the redfoot he is selling is actually older.
The price is inline with wholesale I think.

Laura said:
Craigslist has lots of scams.. but lots of good too.. DO NOT send money or pay shipping.. do local buys only
If you can provide, then do it.. but dont mix them. Seperate enclosures..
Way more scams that ever.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I bought 2 leos on Craigslist last June. It has been a nightmare trying to get them back to health. They were in pretty bad shape when I got them. Look before you buy! Great place to get a good deal though.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
I would never even check Craigslist or similar sight, but that is only because I would buy them no matter what shape they were in just to get them out of the horror of being in sad conditions. That is how I got Ted, but he is healthy, so someone was doing something right.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Craigslist has both it's good, and it's bad. I network our available rescue dogs on Craigslist, and get some extremely wonderful families from there.... but also get some crazy people as well, who obviously do not pass our application process.

I have only gotten one tortoise off CL (Cricket from Florida), but have rescued rats from CL who were healthy (though not tame... and that was OK, but they were "free for snake food" so I took them in as pets). I am also (hopefully) purchasing a Leopard Gecko from somebody on CL this Thursday.

I have seen stories where people have adopted/bought sick animals (mostly dogs) off CL, but that's the chance you take.

Definately try to meet the animal first, if you are looking for it to be healthy, friendly, etc. I did not do that with Cricket, or the rats, as I didn't care if they were sick, I just wanted to save them. For this Leopard Gecko, I will probably just do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.