Status
Not open for further replies.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Nixxy said:
Don't mean to sound dumb, but how exactly does one obtain one then? I'm not interested, just curious.

Is this just illegal in California?

I know some of you guys have them, so I was wondering how one legally obtains them. I hate to see people illegally sell or obtain animals. :\

No, not illegal to have them. Just illegal to take from the wild or buy, sell or trade them or take across State lines.

Mine were given to me. They were captive bred.

Here in Arizona we don't have to have permits. We can have one per person, per State law, but there are some adoption centers that have stricter rules if you get one through them.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Nixxy said:
Don't mean to sound dumb, but how exactly does one obtain one then? I'm not interested, just curious.

Is this just illegal in California?

I know some of you guys have them, so I was wondering how one legally obtains them. I hate to see people illegally sell or obtain animals. :\

It is not illegal to give away or adopt the animals, just to buy and sell them.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I know it's illegal, but I actually prefer people to ask for rehoming fees, even if they are small ones. If not, how do you know you are giving your pet to someone atleast somewhat responsible. He better be very thorough when he's finding new homes for these guys.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
futureleopardtortoise said:
I know it's illegal, but I actually prefer people to ask for rehoming fees, even if they are small ones. If not, how do you know you are giving your pet to someone atleast somewhat responsible. He better be very thorough when he's finding new homes for these guys.

Around here the adoption centers come and do an inspection of your yard and enclosure to make sure it is built right. Some individuals either do the same or at least make you tell them how you are going to care for them to prove you know what you are doing.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Most likely due to them being native species?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you want to adopt a CDT just go to your local CTTC and ask. A yard inspection is required but few do it, we usually have so many that you can adopt one the same night. It is free to adopt one, and all you have to do is get a permit (it is used mainly for keeping an accurate number of them in captivity).

Remember it is also illegal to say sell a instruction manual for 100 dollars and include a "free" CDT wit purchase (it has been done before).

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mods - maybe you should delete this post now. I don't want anyone bothering this guy if he's doing the right thing.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Just say he changed the ad, please don't bother him anymore. I can close the thread is you want it closed.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
dmmj said:
Just say he changed the ad, please don't bother him anymore. I can close the thread is you want it closed.

Yes please ...

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Thread closed upon request of OP.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
A yard inspection is required but few do it, we usually have so many that you can adopt one the same night.

Question, I thought the yard inspection was one of those things agreed to in order for CTTC to be allowed to do the adoption process instead of Game and Parks (or whomever your guys have). Is this not true? It saddens me to know that yard inspections are not being done. so somebody like me, could go to a meeting give a false address and come home with a DT?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
All I can say is I am pretty sure it is a guideline, not a rule so I think it is optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.