TORTOISES AND WATER SOUND-CURIOUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have two outside areas for Tatum. One, that he doesn't get to stay in all day has a koi pond in it. When ever i put him in that enclosure, he is always attracted to the end with the pond. The water flow from the filter makes a splashing noise into the pond. Is that what he is attracted to, the sound? The other end is heavily planted with all kinds of stuff to eat, which he will graze in, but always wants to get past the barrier and closer to the pond. Any thoughts? BTW, he can't get into the pond, so no worries.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would bet it is the sound. Seems all animals (including humans) are attracted to the sound of splashing water. I assume it's a survival thing at it's most basic. Water means life. Have you ever turned off the pump just before bringing him outside, to see if his behavior is different?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Does he like water running over his head?
My torts all prefer to drink water that is pouring down on them over water that is in a dish. My two wild-caught Hermanns have never been observed drinking from a dish. When I set up my new indoor, a dripper of some sort is part of the plan.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
I would bet it is the sound. Seems all animals (including humans) are attracted to the sound of splashing water. I assume it's a survival thing at it's most basic. Water means life. Have you ever turned off the pump just before bringing him outside, to see if his behavior is different?

No I never have. I will have to try that.

Edna said:
Does he like water running over his head?
My torts all prefer to drink water that is pouring down on them over water that is in a dish. My two wild-caught Hermanns have never been observed drinking from a dish. When I set up my new indoor, a dripper of some sort is part of the plan.

He doesn't mind it at all. He doesn't try to drink it that way, but he doesn't mind it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.