Tortoises and traveling

Dr Darwin

Hi, I am going on holiday from Liverpool (north west England) to south Wales and wondering if I should take my tort as I am unsure about torts on long journeys ( it will take about 4 1/2 hours to get there. Would this be to long for Darwin.

Also if I am able to take Darwin what could I use as a travel pen/paddock/whatever you want to call it?

Dr Darwin

My concerns are that a- my grandparents would be looking after him and I am unsure about their skill of looking after him for 1 week. B- a potential lack of contact would be stressful for myself and them in an emergency. c- it would be potentially stressing for Darwin as he does not know my grandparents well as they only see him rarely and Darwin does not interact with them nor do they when they see him.

1 week I am staying. In case you hadn't picked that up.

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I think it would be easier if you left him at home.
Are your lights on a timer?
All your grandparents would need to do really is feed Darwin (and scoop his poop out if you dare ask). Food can easily be prepared and refridgerated
They don't need to handle Darwin (unless you want them to) so I don't think it will be all that stressful for Darwin.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, I am going on holiday from Liverpool (north west England) to south Wales and wondering if I should take my tort as I am unsure about torts on long journeys ( it will take about 4 1/2 hours to get there. Would this be to long for Darwin.

Also if I am able to take Darwin what could I use as a travel pen/paddock/whatever you want to call it?
Which part of S Wales are you heading for?
I used to regularly travel from outside Newport to Leyland nr Preston in about 3 hours and vice versa on return.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's probably far less stressful for Darwin to stay at home, than travel two long journeys and have to adapt to a new environment before being put back in the old one.
Even if he doesn't eat or drink much for a week, it won't do him any harm.
If your grandparents just put the food in and change the water he'll be perfectly happy.
Sorry, but he probably won't even notice you're gone.:(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At that size, he's perfectly able to cope. Leave him at home.

Lights on a timer
Give him a good soak before you go
Greens in the fridge for the grandparents to feed
They can change water and check he's the right way up

Give him a good soak when you get home

Seriously, in a week there is little they can do to cause harm.

Trying to move a tort and all its paraphernalia is stressful for you and torts are frequently not that great at handling change.

Right now I am in the South of France. My next door neighbour is keeping an eye on Joe back home in Kent. (We have a reciprocal agreement with their rabbits)

Joe won't get the level of attention he does when I'm home, but he does just fine with far less attention when I am away :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He is about 5 1/2 inches long.
Yes as JoesMum says its not just Darwin, but all his heat sources and uvb etc you have to take with you and, even though you could use a huge under the bed storage box for him, how would you make sure those are secure enough not to harm him. As long as you leave clear instructions for your grandparents and ring them everyday in case they have questions or to check they have done turned the lights on/off etc I think your tort will be happier and safer left home.