Tortoises and bears??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hey, maybe you can send a message to Greg (aldabraman) and ask him what he does to deter snakes and bears....he lives there in some pretty lush looking area of Florida...??

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well finished the sleeping box...outside dimensions are 4x5. Interior dimensions are about 3x4... Started by burying 4x4 post ..4 feet down set in concrete...every 12".. Then I framed the outside in 2x12 and framed the inside in 2x8... Ran rebar In between the 4x4 and filled the cavity with cement loaded with fiber... I then bolted it to the corner of the pen...front door is a guillotine style made of 2x12 ..door opening 20" wide and 16" high.as small as needed.. (I can enlarge the door by removing blocks of woods as they grow.) all complete it would guess the weight to be close to 800lbs.. Asd to That the fact that it's cemented into the ground and bolted to the pen.. I believe the bears if they decide to have a go at it will have there work cut out...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
What, no moat filled with crocodiles?
Tony the tank said:
Well finished the sleeping box...outside dimensions are 4x5. Interior dimensions are about 3x4... Started by burying 4x4 post ..4 feet down set in concrete...every 12".. Then I framed the outside in 2x12 and framed the inside in 2x8... Ran rebar In between the 4x4 and filled the cavity with cement loaded with fiber... I then bolted it to the corner of the pen...front door is a guillotine style made of 2x12 ..door opening 20" wide and 16" high.as small as needed.. (I can enlarge the door by removing blocks of woods as they grow.) all complete it would guess the weight to be close to 800lbs.. Asd to That the fact that it's cemented into the ground and bolted to the pen.. I believe the bears if they decide to have a go at it will have there work cut out...

Have you thought of putting a strand or two of electric fencing on top of your fence? It's cheap.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tony the tank said:
Will said:
I know of a outside collection with galops in Oviedo, FL. A rattlesnake bit one when, if I recal well, it was about 150, and died. The bite was not witnessed, but a bite wound was found, and the pathology suggested, the bite is why the tortoise died.

Though not stated on TFO, the Sudan breeder had metal roofing all around his sulcata pen, as much to keep snakes out as tortoises in? Is he still here?

Will

There is not much I can do to keep the snakes out when there outside there pen...I trimed the grass lower to try to get them to move on when a few of the fencing people reported seeing a few back there..

I will cut the grass lower...hopefully it will get them or what ever they are hunting back there to move on...

Out this way, for rattler control. we get a few guinea fowls. Your local feedstore'll be able to help.

GuineaFowl.jpg

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I am still debating that...I need to check the laws here pertaining to electrified fencing ..The pens are now right next to the pool house and within 60 feet of the main house.... If I attempt to electrify the pens my dogs will get zapped..as they are always in and out of the pens...in two weeks the pool and enclosure should be finished and the electrician and alarm company will be back out to finish them... I will see what they can do...

On the plus side.. Since the perimeter fence was finished a week or two ago..I have not seen any bear tracks in the sand around the house and pen area or on the video cameras... Neighbors tell me that the bears would most likely avoid my property since they can smell my dogs marking....

Terry Allan Hall said:
Tony the tank said:
Will said:
I know of a outside collection with galops in Oviedo, FL. A rattlesnake bit one when, if I recal well, it was about 150, and died. The bite was not witnessed, but a bite wound was found, and the pathology suggested, the bite is why the tortoise died.

Though not stated on TFO, the Sudan breeder had metal roofing all around his sulcata pen, as much to keep snakes out as tortoises in? Is he still here?

Will

There is not much I can do to keep the snakes out when there outside there pen...I trimed the grass lower to try to get them to move on when a few of the fencing people reported seeing a few back there..

I will cut the grass lower...hopefully it will get them or what ever they are hunting back there to move on...

Out this way, for rattler control. we get a few guinea fowls. Your local feedstore'll be able to help.

GuineaFowl.jpg

Guinea Fowls never heard of them.. Do they attack the rattlers.. Are they easy to take care of..??

Thank you

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Sure, but then you get a guinea fowl infestation.
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tony the tank said:
Will said:

Will

GuineaFowl.jpg

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
yagyujubei said:
Sure, but then you get a guinea fowl infestation.
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tony the tank said:
Will said:

Will

GuineaFowl.jpg

Once you run out of rattlers, there's Shake And Bake! ;)

buffalo.png

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow! We are moving to FL in the next year or so and you guys are scaring the crap out of me! Bears?! Snakes?! Bad enough worrying about alligators and fire ants.
We just got rid of the last of our Guineas, here in CT, because of neighbor complaints. On counts of noise and trespass. We got them for tick patrol here. Never heard of them going for snakes. Will keep that in mind. Though we are going from 31 acres here to 6 acres in FL. The neighbors are in sight there, and Guineas are hard to contain. They range far and wide.

Ann from CT

EKLC

5 Year Member
Gopher torts have rattlesnakes in their holes, and they seem to get along... but not worth it for a captive tort. Also, I would be afraid of disease transmission, since the gopher torts have all sorts of weird diseases that continue to baffle the vet school here at UF. Not sure the viability of gopher tort to snake to your tort transmission, but it's something to think of. Just make sure whatever you do that you respect the native wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.