TortoiseForum Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIzzysMom

5 Year Member
Josh,

I was looking at your card design - which i love btw, but am struck with some concern. I have a Sulcata tortoise - or at least she is supposed to be, who looks like all the other sulcata's I've seen online, and on videos, but she also looks a lot like your the tortoise on your card, which I understand is a CA desert tortoise, what is the difference in these two types of tortoises and how can I tell if my Lizzy is truly a sulcata. Another reason I'm concerned is though she has the proper diet, gets to graze daily in the yard, and gets calcium and, according to all the care information I can find, has the proper indoor housing at night, I've had her since June. The previous owner who was at an animal auction I attended and where I bought her, claimed that she was five years old. She has only grown slightly since then and is about 6 1/2 " long. There is no pyramiding or any deformities. I'm concerned that she isn't bigger and doesn't seem to be growing very quickly as most of the stuff I read online indicates she should be. She is going to a reptile vet next month, but I'd love your input or the input of anyone knowledgeable.

JCS

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
sometimes at least IMHO they do look alike, post a pic and the experts can tell you for sure, if you bought it though it is most likely a sulcata since it is illegal to buy CDT's.

LIzzysMom

5 Year Member
Here are a couple of pics of Lizzy, my Sulcata. The more I look at the CA Desert Tortoise pics, the more I'm convinced mine is indeed a Sulcata, but I am still concerned that she isn't growing like she should.

15yucmr.jpg

2450ith.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sulcata for sure

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
Isa said:
Very nice Josh! I really like it!
Do you think it would be possible to make a t-shirt with this design on the front and of on the back?

A tee shirt like that would be very cool!! front and back! i'd buy it.....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LIzzysMom said:
Josh,

I was looking at your card design - which i love btw, but am struck with some concern. I have a Sulcata tortoise - or at least she is supposed to be, who looks like all the other sulcata's I've seen online, and on videos, but she also looks a lot like your the tortoise on your card, which I understand is a CA desert tortoise, what is the difference in these two types of tortoises and how can I tell if my Lizzy is truly a sulcata. Another reason I'm concerned is though she has the proper diet, gets to graze daily in the yard, and gets calcium and, according to all the care information I can find, has the proper indoor housing at night, I've had her since June. The previous owner who was at an animal auction I attended and where I bought her, claimed that she was five years old. She has only grown slightly since then and is about 6 1/2 " long. There is no pyramiding or any deformities. I'm concerned that she isn't bigger and doesn't seem to be growing very quickly as most of the stuff I read online indicates she should be. She is going to a reptile vet next month, but I'd love your input or the input of anyone knowledgeable.

JCS

Your tortoise is definitely a Sulcata. You will have a much better chance of receiving the answers you need if you post a thread in the Sulcata section of the forum. There are many people here with experience keeping Sulcatas, but they probably won't see your post here, as that is not what this thread is about.

The proper section of the forum for your concerns can be found here - http://tortoiseforum.org/Forum-Sulcata-tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.