?Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I was wondering what would be a good second tortoise. I have a baby Sulcata Tortoise and I know that I definitely want another tortoise in the future. I was wondering what species get along with Sulcatas. I am not asking this because I want to house them in the same terrarium I am asking this because what if I want to take them both outside to graze. So basically I am asking what tortoises do Sulcatas get along with?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A sulcata is going to eventually outweigh most commercially available tortoises. don't graze together IMHO separate but equal works fine for tortoises. now as for a good second tortoise I personally recommend russians.

M

Maggie Cummings

You want to keep different species separate as each has it's own pathogens that could conceivably make the other species sick or dead. Like how RES carry e-coli around and don't get sick, but they could give it to Sulcata and he would die. I'm not making my point very well, but suffice it to say mixing species is not a good idea. Most keepers wouldn't let different species on the same patch of ground even. So each should have his own habitat and his own patch of grass...
David always recommends Russians... I am beginning to think Russians are his favorite species...:)

HarleyK

5 Year Member
When do you plan on buying another tortoise because there are a lot of options out there. It's great that you are doing research beforehand. You are just a kid right? So it depends on if one day you will have a back yard or not and if you can provide the proper conditions. As for the costs, once you get a job many of the torts common in the pet trade are obtainable.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
...a second sulcata...the one point that needs to be considered and I'll cite an example. In Fountain Valley, CA there is a very nice reptile shop called Prehistoric Pets...those of you in SoCal (specifically OC) know what I'm talking about. A few years back, you would enter the store and the first thing you would see is a pond on one side and a tortoise exhibit on the other. There were 5 maybe 6 good size sulcatas and a 150 - 250 pound Galap. One day i went into the shop and didn't see the Galap...I inquired and one of the staff told me the sulcatas rammed it to death. Disgusted, I left the shop...NEVER TO RETURN! Word has it that they now charge admission to the shop...WHATEVER! Anyway, my point is that as personable as a sulcata is...mixing it with another species could have dire consequences...food for thought!

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I plan on buying one in the future because right now I am very content with my sulcata. Yes I guess I am still just a kid I am 15 and I bought Chevy for 45$ at my local repticon. I hope when I am old enough to put a down payment on a house it will have a small amount of square footage and a big yard.

Oh I will definitely not let my Sulcata near any other tortoise if I do plan on getting a different species!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
DeanS said:
...a second sulcata...the one point that needs to be considered and I'll cite an example. In Fountain Valley, CA there is a very nice reptile shop called Prehistoric Pets...those of you in SoCal (specifically OC) know what I'm talking about. A few years back, you would enter the store and the first thing you would see is a pond on one side and a tortoise exhibit on the other. There were 5 maybe 6 good size sulcatas and a 150 - 250 pound Galap. One day i went into the shop and didn't see the Galap...I inquired and one of the staff told me the sulcatas rammed it to death. Disgusted, I left the shop...NEVER TO RETURN! Word has it that they now charge admission to the shop...WHATEVER! Anyway, my point is that as personable as a sulcata is...mixing it with another species could have dire consequences...food for thought!

Your kidding right? Thats about the worst tortoise story I've heard!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That is what I was told and she was visibly shaken when I asked.

Here's the link to their contact info...call them if you want! I never did a follow upbut I didn't see the need...she seemed truthful to me...and why lie?

http://www.prehistoricpets.com/contact-us

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A little off topic, and my apologies to the OP (Original poster), but I've seen pictures of a fairly large sulcata who's side was split open like a watermelon due to being rammed by another sulcata.

Now to the OP: A Russian!!

S

Scooter

I agree with getting a Russian. I just recently took one in and when ever I go near his enclosure he comes out and will try to follow me and I sat at the edge of it one day with my feet in the enclosure and he walked over and just sat on my foot looking at me. He is very social.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Greeks are great! Or atleast my little one is! She loves to eat kale out of my hand and she likes to be loved on. When I take her outside for her to explore I'll sit in the grass and she'll wander around and then when she gets tired she runs back to me and tries to bury under my leg to sleep. She loves to be peted on her head and her shell rubbed lol! So IMHO greeks are great.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
DeanS said:
That is what I was told and she was visibly shaken when I asked.

Here's the link to their contact info...call them if you want! I never did a follow upbut I didn't see the need...she seemed truthful to me...and why lie?

http://www.prehistoricpets.com/contact-us

I dont think I need to call them. Thats a terrible story

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Russians are amazing! :)
I met someone at school who has one, and its amazing!
They are just as social as sullies, just smaller, and slightly different living conditions. :)
I know Im getting a Russian.
:)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Marty333 said:
Oh ok I understand thanks for the advice but what is a good second tortoise that is very social and likes to be held and loved on and usually is not that expensive.

Gotta vote for the Hermann's tortoise for friendliness/personality. They take to being pampered pets very easily! :p

Iberians (and the other Greeks) run a pretty close 2nd. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Don't Sulcatas grow really fast? Do you have a plan for when that happends?
I can't imagine any tort being more friendly than a desert tortoise. Mine are super sweet.
It is late I hope I don't have nightmares about Dean and Yvonne's stories. I better find a happy post before I go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.