What species would thrive outside in Florida?

Celeeste

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello! I am new to this form and have been planning on moving to Florida (Somewhere rural in Central or South Florida) and I want to own a multitude of tortoise species (I even want to start a turtle/tortoise zoo eventually). However I don't know what tortoises would thrive outside there. On a similar note, will galaps, aldabras, and sulcatas do well in Florida since they require less humidity than other tortoises?

Sorry if this is confusing, I have a lot of thoughts to get out there. Basically, what tortoises will do well outside in Central/South Florida and what ones should I build a special indoor enclosure for?

jwr0201

Sarasota, FL
Hey Cel. Can't answer your question, but can advise on where in Florida is a great place to live. Try the west coast from south of Tampa to Venice. I'm a native and have lived all over the state...this is my favorite by far!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Hello! I am new to this form and have been planning on moving to Florida (Somewhere rural in Central or South Florida) and I want to own a multitude of tortoise species (I even want to start a turtle/tortoise zoo eventually). However I don't know what tortoises would thrive outside there. On a similar note, will galaps, aldabras, and sulcatas do well in Florida since they require less humidity than other tortoises?

Sorry if this is confusing, I have a lot of thoughts to get out there. Basically, what tortoises will do well outside in Central/South Florida and what ones should I build a special indoor enclosure for?
I have russians that do great here. Mine live outdoors 9 months of the year. They are a drier species, but mine have acclimated after several years and do well especially because even when we rain a lot, the sun comes out again pretty soon and they can dry and heat up again quickly. Winter and spring are usually the drier months, and summer and fall we have lots of rain, especially in the afternoons. I like it though, because after a long hot day there are nice afternoon rains to cool the tortoises off. And then the sun comes up the next morning, strong as ever. I live in central north Florida, and it can get pretty chilly in the winter and I brumate mine indoors in a fridge. So, for whatever species, even if you move to South Florida, you will have to have a heated space or indoor area for cooler winter days and especially nights.

Honestly, in my opinion, any tortoise species can do well here with the proper enclosure. Redfoots especially do great here too. A place where the tortoises can stay dry, and warm during winter months, and they'll be fine.

Sulcatas, galaps, and aldabras would do great here. You would need heated, dry, night houses or sheds for them when it gets very wet or cold. I'm not an expert on those species though so let's wait for others to chime in.

This is my opinion as someone who lives here, I'd hear other opinions too. I love Florida and you will to, it's an awesome place!

Celeeste

Missouri
Hey Cel. Can't answer your question, but can advise on where in Florida is a great place to live. Try the west coast from south of Tampa to Venice. I'm a native and have lived all over the state...this is my favorite by far!
Thanks for the advice, I’ll look into it