tortoise won't move about

faye_xo

hi I may just be worrying over nothing but I just brought home a 5 month old tortoise yesterday and once he's been home he hasn't moved about he ate some lettuce yesterday but he just seems to sit where I place him?

faye_xo

The temp is 21 degrees and under his heat lamp it's about 27 degrees and his substrate is top soil and he's a hermann

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your top temp of 27 degrees is about 80 degrees fahrenheit. 80 is the lowest basic temperature for a healthy tortoise. 21 is like 71 degrees. Too cool. While at 27 degrees, he wont be harmed, he needs heat to digest food correctly and to become active. Try to bump up the heat 4-5 degrees and see if he/she would like a warm water soak. Someone with more knowledge of Hermans will be along soon.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I found this care sheet for your type of tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

hope it helps!

"Ambient room temperature should hover around 80-85F during the day and can be allowed to drop into the low 70s at night. T. hermanni are capable of withstanding much cooler nighttime temperatures but if they are very young, it’s wise to not let it drop that low just yet."

It also states basking temperatures should be around 95 degrees Fahrenheit directly under the heat lamp.

-Note, do not use any spiral bulbs