does this sound normal?

janebartley

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posted a few other threads about heating lighting to make sure ive got everything right, but worrying about our little 12 week old horsefield, got him (dexter) on Friday and I know he will be trying to settle in to his new environment but he has only ate once (some water cress on Saturday morning) and spent the rest of the time burrowed in his corner.. he hasn't drank a thing. Ive bathed him every day since he came but he barely wakes up, and when I put him down under the lamp he crawled straight back to his corner, but yesterday when I bathed him and put him back in his table he just stayed asleep in the middle of the enclosure and hasn't moved since. He is moving his arms and legs but hes not walking about at all. We got him from a pet store which I know isn't a reliable source but we were planning on getting a tortoise for ages then we went into the shop for another reason and just noticed him there we didn't want to leave him. Not sure what to do

Bee62

Germany
Posted a few other threads about heating lighting to make sure ive got everything right, but worrying about our little 12 week old horsefield, got him (dexter) on Friday and I know he will be trying to settle in to his new environment but he has only ate once (some water cress on Saturday morning) and spent the rest of the time burrowed in his corner.. he hasn't drank a thing. Ive bathed him every day since he came but he barely wakes up, and when I put him down under the lamp he crawled straight back to his corner, but yesterday when I bathed him and put him back in his table he just stayed asleep in the middle of the enclosure and hasn't moved since. He is moving his arms and legs but hes not walking about at all. We got him from a pet store which I know isn't a reliable source but we were planning on getting a tortoise for ages then we went into the shop for another reason and just noticed him there we didn't want to leave him. Not sure what to do
Hello. Sorry to hear that your baby tort seems to be sick.
I would put him in a little tub with shallow water ( that he cannot drown ) and place him in the tub near his basking lamp where it is warm. Watch what he is doing, but let him stay in the warm water. When he is awake and moving around try to feed him.
He needs humidity and food. Obviuously the care at the pet store wasn`t good. I hope you can safe your baby tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What are your four temperatures and what heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve those temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

How long are the lights on each day? Are you using a light timer?

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
He completely perked up! I gave him a longer bath than usual next to the ratiator and all of a sudden he came alive and nearly crawled out of the bowl! He was all over the place everywhere he climbed onto me off the table and ate some food for the first time since he got here (I held it while he ate it so adorable) he had a really good munch. He’s back asleep now. Feel very relieved it was so lovely to see him like that I hope he’s going to really like his new home must have just took some getting used to. He seems to not be using his back legs very well and sometimes his shell is lifted up and sometimes dragging, is this just because of his age as his legs aren’t strong or stable enough yet?

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Some photos (he’s in a spider-man bowl in one) haha

Attachments

• 21956055-CB6D-4FD6-8106-A08309A0849A.jpeg
    21956055-CB6D-4FD6-8106-A08309A0849A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 92FE6D3D-84B7-4C83-8771-A3C63480B1A2.jpeg
    92FE6D3D-84B7-4C83-8771-A3C63480B1A2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 09B66DC7-F10B-44F6-B046-26DC807F5DD2.jpeg
    09B66DC7-F10B-44F6-B046-26DC807F5DD2.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15

Bee62

Germany
He completely perked up! I gave him a longer bath than usual next to the ratiator and all of a sudden he came alive and nearly crawled out of the bowl! He was all over the place everywhere he climbed onto me off the table and ate some food for the first time since he got here (I held it while he ate it so adorable) he had a really good munch. He’s back asleep now. Feel very relieved it was so lovely to see him like that I hope he’s going to really like his new home must have just took some getting used to. He seems to not be using his back legs very well and sometimes his shell is lifted up and sometimes dragging, is this just because of his age as his legs aren’t strong or stable enough yet?
Warm water and a long soak wakes up every healthy tort.
But please answer the questions Tom asked you, that we are able to see if your setup for your baby is correct.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
It’s the zoo med one I posted in other post about lighting I was just checking I deffo had the right one, we get up around 7 and turn the lamp on and it goes off when we go to bed around 10pm, the house is 18 •c during the night, and it’s between 34•c - 36•c under light and the cooler side and under the house part is 21•c is this okay?
(we are in north east of England it’s very cold here at the moment so have the heating on a lot also through the day time. I’m also thinking of getting another thermometer just to check and be on the safe side

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
I’m also changing the substrate tomorrow I looked all over for the coconut coir and couldn’t find any so had to order some online and it’s going in to replace the one we have tomorrow :)

Bee62

Germany
It’s the zoo med one I posted in other post about lighting I was just checking I deffo had the right one, we get up around 7 and turn the lamp on and it goes off when we go to bed around 10pm, the house is 18 •c during the night, and it’s between 34•c - 36•c under light and the cooler side and under the house part is 21•c is this okay?
(we are in north east of England it’s very cold here at the moment so have the heating on a lot also through the day time. I’m also thinking of getting another thermometer just to check and be on the safe side
18 C is too cold for a baby tort. I would run a ceramic heat emitter at night and would not let the temp drop under 25 C at night. Adult Russian tortoises need not so high temps but yours is a baby. Basking spot should be 40 C and the colder side at 25 - 27 C.
Zoo med houses are open topped I think ? It is difficult to control the temps and the humidity in an open enclosure. It would be better to cover the whole enclosure.
Humidity is very important for your baby too. Baby torts dehydrate very quick. Soaking daily for 30 minutes will be the best you can do for him. Misting water over the soil to keep a humidity of 60 % will be fine too. But high humidity must go together with warm temps day and night or your baby will get sick with a respiration infect.
Measuring temps and humidity with a digital thermometer/hygrometer gives you correct informations.