Tortoise won't eat cuttlebone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauronofmordor

5 Year Member
So my female Russian Tortoise was eating rocks, so I got her a cuttlebone as I saw to do on this site. However, she refuses to bite it. Any recommendations?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
It's usually used for the tort to nibble on if it needs more calcium. Not a treat or food. It'll disappear over time.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes the rock nibbling is not due to a calcium deficiency. Sometimes it is due to a mineral imbalance or shortage of something else. I have had good luck curbing the rock eating by adding "MinerAll" to the diet two or three times a week. Still leave the cuttle bone. Sometimes they will ignore it for months before nibbling on it.

pappabear1973

5 Year Member
I do not wish to dude track this or high jack it. However... fit the miner all, . Isn't that for meat eating/ insect eating reptiles or amphibians. I would be concerned of any added protein in the diet. I have read that it can be bad. However for the deployment itself, what does that offer. This intrigues me. Thanks

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Some torts just wont eat a cuttlebone. My Russian will go through spells where she will or will not eat hers. I just leave it in for her in case she takes notion to nibble on it. I also wash it off with just warm water every so often.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Put in the habitat enclosure for eating at will. Sometimes it takes time for them to have that will. With new foods and stuff, tortoises go in slooooooooow motion, but eventually they come around. My tortoises have taught me "patience". : 0

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Eating rocks doesn't always mean that the deficiency is calcium, like Tom said. Another good multivitamin source is TNT from Caroline Pet Supply (I hope the link works). It is made of ground up plants, and can be safely given to herbivorous tortoises.

As far as the cuttlefish bone, you have a few different options:
-You could soak the cuttlefish in cucumber juice, I've heard that this makes it smell more delicious to tortoises.
-You could scrape a little of the cuttlefish onto the greens you feed
-You can decide not to worry... honestly, my tortoises go for months without touching their cuttlebone. Then all of a sudden they will chow down, especially gravid females.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
pappabear1973 said:
I do not wish to dude track this or high jack it. However... fit the miner all, . Isn't that for meat eating/ insect eating reptiles or amphibians. I would be concerned of any added protein in the diet. I have read that it can be bad. However for the deployment itself, what does that offer. This intrigues me. Thanks

I think your question is relavent to the topic.

MinerAll was designed as a way to supplement minerals, and correct an improper calcium to phosphorous ratio in the diet of chameleons and other insectivores. Yes, that is true. However it is only a mineral supplement. It contains no added protein or anything else. Just minerals and trace elements.

This protein thing is another issue. Protein is not the villain that it was once thought to be and studies, as well as people's personal experiences, have revealed that most tortoises do take advantage of SOME protein in the wild when the opportunity presents itself.

sauronofmordor

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I was aware my tortoise wasn't supposed to eat the whole thing like instantly and that she was supposed to nibble at it. It just that she was searching for rocks even though she was aware it was there, and ended up using it as a pillow for an afternoon nap. I will order some Miner-All from amazon. Thanks again.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Tortoise won't eat cuttlebone?

sauronofmordor said:
So my female Russian Tortoise was eating rocks, so I got her a cuttlebone as I saw to do on this site. However, she refuses to bite it. Any recommendations?

You can try crushing the cuttlebone into same size pieces or smaller as the rocks she was eating.
(Some of my torts will not bite into larger limestone rocks, but will readily eat them when crushed into tiny pieces.)

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.