Tortoise with possible runny nose syndrome - help pls

jhider

I returned from holiday one week ago to find one of my tortoises to have very loud breathing and a runny nose, since then she seems to struggle to breathe from her nose from congestion and it is constantly running (and bubbling). We've taken her to the vets and they have put her on daily antibiotics (Baytril) for one week.

I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to aid her, she really seems to be struggling and although she is eating, it is much less than usual. We're having to give her the antibiotics by injecting it into fruit so if anyone else has any suggestions on how to get it into her that'll be great.

FYI we believe she's a spur thigh, she is approximately 40 years old, lives outdoors with 3 others.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi

Whereabouts in the world are you?

First things first. You must separate this tort. Bring it indoors and get and keep it warm.

jhider

Dorset, south England.
And yes should have mentioned that, she's not with the others at the moment

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What substrate are you using? I hope your tort gets well soon. :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dorset, south England.
And yes should have mentioned that, she's not with the others at the moment
I am in Kent, so not a million miles from you. We have had our tort for 46 years ... and been through a respiratory infection

You need to get your tort to a reptile vet.

Do you have a good one?

jhider

I am in Kent, so not a million miles from you. We have had our tort for 46 years ... and been through a respiratory infection

You need to get your tort to a reptile vet.

Do you have a good one?

We've taken her to a 'normal' vet at the moment who has given the antibiotics, although if it hasn't cleared at all by the end of the week I will be looking for an exotics vet

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm afraid that the warm winter meant that many UK torts had a poor hibernation.

They were boxed in October and it didn't get property cold until January. As a result they lost too much weight and it left them weakened. Is this possible for yours?

jhider

I'm afraid that the warm winter meant that many UK torts had a poor hibernation.

They were boxed in October and it didn't get property cold until January. As a result they lost too much weight and it left them weakened. Is this possible for yours?

They are outdoors all year round including winter as they hibernate themselves so to speak. They went away in the end of October and started waking up April time

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They are outdoors all year round including winter as they hibernate themselves so to speak. They went away in the end of October and started waking up April time
She may not have not put on enough weight last summer to cope with hibernation. :(

jhider

What straight carapace length is she and what does she weigh?

She needs a basking lamp - a plain spotlight bulb hanging from a stand. Take a look at the one in this thread that Joe uses in our conservatory.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

She also needs daily 30 minute soaks in warm water to keep her hydrated. Add Reptoboost to the water - you can get it from Amazon
http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Reptoboost.aspx

When she wakes up in the morning I'll measure her, she's 2.8kg. And thanks for the tips! I've never had a poorly tortoise before it's really horrible to see

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When she wakes up in the morning I'll measure her, she's 2.8kg. And thanks for the tips! I've never had a poorly tortoise before it's really horrible to see
It's only happened to me once ever too. It was awful. That was when I joined TFO too. I'm still here and so is Joe :)

jhider

It's only happened to me once ever too. It was awful. That was when I joined TFO too. I'm still here and so is Joe :)

2.83kg and 9 inches. She doesn't seem as congested as she did last night and is wandering around the garden and eating fine. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
2.83kg and 9 inches. She doesn't seem as congested as she did last night and is wandering around the garden and eating fine. :)
It sounds like the antibiotics are kicking in :)

Keep her warm. It's cold and damp that does the damage. Keep her hydrated and watch her weight.

To give you an idea, Joe is 10.5 inches and 3.25kg. He will put on another 150g over the summer. Proportionally she appears to be roughly the correct weight, maybe a little under, but not seriously so :)