Tortoise weight.

lexi41269

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
Hi, I bought my first tortoise 2 weeks ago. His name's T-Bone [emoji16].
I've weighed and measured him for the first time today. He's a 6 month old Herman's, 8cmx6cm and weighs 93g. I will be weighing him every month from now on. I just wanted to know whether that sounds right, and also how much he should be gaining monthly? ThanksIMG_20190516_184548.jpeg

lexi41269

Wolverhampton
Hi, I bought my first tortoise 2 weeks ago. His name's T-Bone [emoji16].
I've weighed and measured him for the first time today. He's a 6 month old Herman's, 8cmx6cm and weighs 93g. I will be weighing him every month from now on. I just wanted to know whether that sounds right, and also how much he should be gaining monthly? ThanksView attachment 272380
Also, does this seem big for 6 months? The breeder assured me he/she was 6 months but from what I've read this seems large! I do have a certificate stating his age so didn't question

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only weigh my tortoises annually. I suppose it would seem reasonable to weigh youngsters more often. When they were babies, I would make a tracing of their outline on a sheet of paper, then monthly make a new tracing over the old one.

tracing.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I weigh my redfoot every Monday after feeding and soaking ... my understanding is that weights vary a lot, even among the same species.

I look for him to gain weight week to week rather than comparing him to other torts or some ideal weight.

Jamie

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I wouldn't be as concerned about the weight but would about the pyramiding. Whoever cared for your tort kept raised him dry. That's why the shell is bumpy. You can slow down or stop the pyramiding by keeping your tort in a humid enclosure. Go to species and in the drop down find your species. Read the care threads about care.
Pics of your enclosure, can help us guide you to proper setup.
I started my sulcata dry and now am battling pyramiding. I have finally got some good growth rings. I didn't realize the importance of humidity until I found this forum.
Good luck and ask all the questions you need to. We are here to help..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That weight and size seems reasonable for a 6 month old. They all grow at different rates.

I agree with Ray--Opo that the pyramiding is over greater concern. It indicates a dry start. I would be soaking this guy daily and keeping him on damp substrate with a humid hide. Covering most of the top will help to increase ambient humidity.

lexi41269

Wolverhampton
That weight and size seems reasonable for a 6 month old. They all grow at different rates.

I agree with Ray--Opo that the pyramiding is over greater concern. It indicates a dry start. I would be soaking this guy daily and keeping him on damp substrate with a humid hide. Covering most of the top will help to increase ambient humidity.
My priority is getting the humidity up! I did notice the pyramiding. I've brought some sphagnum moss and a spray bottle, he's also getting daily soaks for 15 mins.

lexi41269

Wolverhampton
I wouldn't be as concerned about the weight but would about the pyramiding. Whoever cared for your tort kept raised him dry. That's why the shell is bumpy. You can slow down or stop the pyramiding by keeping your tort in a humid enclosure. Go to species and in the drop down find your species. Read the care threads about care.
Pics of your enclosure, can help us guide you to proper setup.
I started my sulcata dry and now am battling pyramiding. I have finally got some good growth rings. I didn't realize the importance of humidity until I found this forum.
Good luck and ask all the questions you need to. We are here to help..
This is his enclosure, A 32l storage tub. I'm keeping the temp between 32-36 and trying to keep the humidity at 50 or above. The lids on when I'm not feeding him to help with this. While he's bathing I spray the soil till really wet to try and get the humidity up. It drys up really quickly though! I try and spray a few times a day.
Is there a better base I could be using? I've changed his bedding to sphagnum moss today to try and get a bit more humidity in the tub. IMG_20190518_183800.jpeg

lexi41269

Wolverhampton
This is his enclosure, A 32l storage tub. I'm keeping the temp between 32-36 and trying to keep the humidity at 50 or above. The lids on when I'm not feeding him to help with this. While he's bathing I spray the soil till really wet to try and get the humidity up. It drys up really quickly though! I try and spray a few times a day.
Is there a better base I could be using? I've changed his bedding to sphagnum moss today to try and get a bit more humidity in the tub. View attachment 272444
PicsIMG_20190518_183800.jpegIMG_20190516_182842.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My priority is getting the humidity up! I did notice the pyramiding. I've brought some sphagnum moss and a spray bottle, he's also getting daily soaks for 15 mins.
Sphagnum moss should not be used as tortoise bedding. The long fibered type will be eaten and can cause impaction. The "dirt" type can cause shell rot, probably due to the acidity, but I don't know the cause for certain, only that it does.

Spraying the surface of the substrate does very little, as you've noticed. You need to dump water into the substrate to dampen it. How much and how often depends on many factors. I'd start slow and gradually add more.

The low sided sweater box is the worst way to house them in regard to maintaining humidity. Something with tall sides will work better, and a proper closed chamber works best if higher humidity is the goal.

Also it looks like the pet shop sold you that "Pets at Home" bedding with the sand and limestone bits in it. I wouldn't use that. Encouraging a tortoise to eat it's sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a terrible idea. I prefer coco coir for baby Testudo, and orchid bark for adults.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Is there a better base I could be using? I've changed his bedding to sphagnum moss today to try and get a bit more humidity in the tub. View attachment 272444
Tom got to you first. He is one of the most knowledgeable here on TFO. Take his advice you are in good hands.