Tortoise weeds

Hannahashleigh

Hi everyone , I'm very new to tortoise keeping and can't seem to get my head around safe and unsafe weeds . In my garden I have left a patch of various weeds to grow , now I can't seem to identify what they are are . Could anyone help , I have loads of this stuff

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Prairie Mom

Hi everyone , I'm very new to tortoise keeping and can't seem to get my head around safe and unsafe weeds . In my garden I have left a patch of various weeds to grow , now I can't seem to identify what they are are . Could anyone help , I have loads of this stuff

View attachment 154381
Hello! And welcome to the tortoise forum:D Be sure to post about yourself in the introduction thread and post lots of photos of your tortoise and enclosures:) We love photos here!

There are other members here that are far better at identifying weeds. I have a GUESS for you, but please get an additional opinion.

To me, your picture looks "sow thistle" which is perfectly fine for tortoises to eat regularly as part of a varied diet. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=209

It's a little hard to make out your photo... I may be seeing raindrops or mildew from lots of moisture. If any of your leaves do have a powdery white mildew, avoid feeding those and only use the nice green parts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You have several different good weeds growing there. I see lots of sow thistle and I see some dandelion in the lower left.

We'll need better individual pics to ID all of them.

Part of being "safe" also means that there are no pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals sprayed on them.

Hannahashleigh

Ok so my son picked this from our front garden and fed it to my baby hermanns , without me knowing , now I'm very concerned as I have no idea what it is if anyone can identify it please let me know

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hannahashleigh

Hi guys could you please identify this my son has picked some and gave it to my little guy without me knowing and I'm worried sick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Hannahashleigh

Hi everyone my son has picked some of this and fed it to my baby hermans I'm now worried sick as I have no idea what it is please help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Hannah, i'm not certain what that weed is, but it looks like a typical broad leafed garden weed to me and the vast majority of these are not harmful to tortoises. I would not worry if mine ate it.
Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of weeds will confirm, but I'm fairly certain, though not positive, it's nothing to worry about.

Hannahashleigh

I sent an email to them they identified it as evening primrose would never have found it as its unflowered

Hannahashleigh

Yeah thank god I actually remember now my mother in law picking yellow yellow flowers off my drive in the summer so I think there identification is probably correct either way I won't be putting anything picked in until everything flowers ,so I can easily identify it