ID my weeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi, folks! I just got done traversing the yard to take pictures of our various weeds. Can anyone tell me what they all are, and whether they're safe for my Russian tort?

#1:
Weed_1.jpg

#2:
Weed_2.jpg

#3:
Weed_3.jpg

#4: The largest leaf is about as big as my tort... 5-6 inches long.
Weed_4.jpg

#5: This stuff seems to LOVE shade... It resides in the far west corner of my yard, underneath various bushes. The leaves of the larger shamrocks are 2-3 inches across.
Weed_5.jpg

#6:
Weed_6.jpg

#7:
Weed_8.jpg

#8: This stuff almost looks like bamboo to me... It sprouted up this year, I think after we had the big tree (stump next to it) cut down.
Weed_9.jpg

Thanks!!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Wow you got alot going on there..

I see a few good ones, 1 dandelion, 3 clover...

Sudhira

5 Year Member
The first one is :
Hawkbits (Leontodon spp.) are dandelion-like flowers in the family Asteraceae (Compositae). Their English name derives from the mediæval belief that hawks ate the plant to improve their eyesight. Although originally native to Eurasia and North Africa, they have since become established in other countries, including the United States and New Zealand.

#3 look like some kind of oxalis or clover?

#8 look like some type of sucker from a plant that was perhaps cut down? the stump may be producing these suckers...

My Greeks LOVE this stuff.

chadk

10 Year Member!
#1 yes, #6 no. The rest I'm not sure.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks, everyone!

Terra- Lol... I think, in the 6 years we've lived in this house, my parents have only had the yard weed-eaten once. So, yeah, we have barely any grass left in the front yard and more than our fair share of weeds... Works out for the four-legged things. =)

Great! I'll pull some Hawkbit tomorrow to throw on top of Zoom's salad.

Oxalis is bad, right? I know there's clover somewhere in the yard (recognize the flowers), but, if there's doubt, I'll wait to pick any until it starts flowering again in the spring.

S

stells

1... Hawksbit

3... Clover

5... Oxalis... don't feed

6... Creeping buttercup... don't feed

7... looks like young jack by the hedge (garlic mustard)... but would be better to take a pic when more developed

8... don't know name but don't feed...

With the young plants... 2... 4... and 7.... can you take more pics as they develop :D

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks, Stells! I think I found some more developed #2 leaves while picking Hawkbit this morning. It's a different patch, so maybe it's just a plant with similar-shaped leaves, but they're waxier, greener, and about twice as big as the younger leaves (maybe an inch long?). I'll go snap some more pictures...

After looking at the "Oxalis or Clover" thread last night, I figured #5 was Oxalis. I'm pretty sure #3 is clover, but I'll save it for when it starts flowering again and I can get a 100% ID. =)

Here's #2 again...

Some older leaves:
Weed_1-1.jpg

One large bunch:
Weed_2-1.jpg

Also, I found this while searching for more of #2. They're all very small leaves. Any ideas?
Weed_3-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
#4 looks like some sort of begonia. Not a weed.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks, Yvonne! I never would have guessed Begonia... This would be the first time any sort of begonia has appeared in our yard, if that's what it ends up being. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.