Tortoise/Turtle Everything

Tortoiselove4ev

Location (City and/or State)
Mars
I am probably the least experienced tortoise keeper, so I want to know absolutely everything on tortoises.

This is what I know so far: (Please correct me if I have the wrong information I want a happy tort.:tort:)
Since I going to use an outdoor enclosure for my tort, I am going to use corrugated metal and wood to make a shady cool spot for him. My enclosure plan is about 9 feet by 4 and a half feet. I am going to dig down where the enclosure is then line it with bricks and chicken wire so he/she will not escape via digging. The enclosure will be made of quality wood NO PINE OR CEDAR. For a bedding I am using a mix of cypress mulch, coco coir, and peat moss. To make sure temperature is right I will buy an infrared temp gun and a remote probed thermometer. I am buying basking rocks, one black, one white, so he/she can bask in the sun on them. I will also be getting a few hiding shelters so he/she can feel safe. I feel that a feeding rock is necessary to put food on and strengthen his beak. I did not forget a water dish that will be cleaned and changed daily. Did I forget anything? ( I am getting a russian tort by the way.)

Tortoiselove4ev

Mars
And what kind of protein powder do I put on their food and what food cause I need to get his/her home done before they sell out.

daniellenc

Maryland
Am I being too dramatic?
Def dramatic lol. You can just do plain old grass and dirt for substrate as long as your grass isn’t treated but he won’t inhale mulch either. Your choice. Protein powder isn’t needed at all. I’d grow seed from tortoise supply since most nursery plants are treated and no rush! There’s a million Russians focus on an awesome home outdoors for an adult and have an indoor enclosure ready for bad weather days!!

Tortoiselove4ev

Mars
Def dramatic lol. You can just do plain old grass and dirt for substrate as long as your grass isn’t treated but he won’t inhale mulch either. Your choice. Protein powder isn’t needed at all. I’d grow seed from tortoise supply since most nursery plants are treated and no rush! There’s a million Russians focus on an awesome home outdoors for an adult and have an indoor enclosure ready for bad weather days!!
Thank you very much. I was just stressing because at the reptile store the clerk let the russians out of the cage and one little spunky one crawled up to me and nuzzled my knee. He has not been sold yet.

daniellenc

Maryland
Thank you very much. I was just stressing because at the reptile store the clerk let the russians out of the cage and one little spunky one crawled up to me and nuzzled my knee. He has not been sold yet.
Be wary of pet stores. You're likely to bring home vet bills, a poorly fed animal, and one that’s lacked proper UV, substrate, and temps. Also be wary of their horrible info. Not all are bad buuuut many are so do your research.

Tortoiselove4ev

Mars
Be wary of pet stores. You're likely to bring home vet bills, a poorly fed animal, and one that’s lacked proper UV, substrate, and temps. Also be wary of their horrible info. Not all are bad buuuut many are so do your research.
Oh no this one is good he is no clerk he is an expert I saw the breeders come in and give him a mud toad. The dude also makes his own protein powder for each reptile is not a chain and they had super cute baby chameleons.