Tortoise trying to escape AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, i just posted about my russian going crazy, trying to claw through his walls, I have no idea whats going through his mind. I recently changed his 40 gallon breeder to a 3 foot long by 2 foot wide wood enclosure. I figured it was his reflection in the glass, but he does the clawing even worse now. I dont know if the enclosure isnt big enough or what the deal is. Someone please help if you could id really appreciate it :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They need to wander over big areas. Little bitty indoor enclosures don't satisfy their wander lust. Heck even in large outdoor enclosures they sometimes pace the perimeter.

Also double check your temps. Sometimes they scramble to get away from temps that are too hot.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Tom said:
They need to wander over big areas. Little bitty indoor enclosures don't satisfy their wander lust. Heck even in large outdoor enclosures they sometimes pace the perimeter.

Also double check your temps. Sometimes they scramble to get away from temps that are too hot.

How big would a good enclosure be?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You've got a Russian I think?

How long is he?

Russians will take as much space as you can give them. They roam so far in the wild that 3' x2' is not really big enough indoors once they get beyond baby size. I'd be looking at 5' x 3 minimum... with a preference on an outdoor enclosure as soon as the weather allows.

towelie200

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
You've got a Russian I think?

How long is he?

Russians will take as much space as you can give them. They roam so far in the wild that 3' x2' is not really big enough indoors once they get beyond baby size. I'd be looking at 5' x 3 minimum... with a preference on an outdoor enclosure as soon as the weather allows.

Yes hes a russian, hes about 4 1/2 inches, I would have him outside right now if it wasn't 43 degrees outside :) im going to extend this enclosure. How big should his outside enclosure be once weather allows?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bigger the better. Indoors I like 4x8'. Outdoors, I like as much space as is practical. There are no set guidelines and everyone will have a different opinion. 8x8' is big enough, but 20x20 is better. I try to build my outdoor enclosures so that they fit into the existing landscape in some way or other. I like to incorporate shade bushes, corners, hills, etc. I'll often add logs or big rocks for sight barriers. Burrows and things to hide or rest under too. The more interesting you make it the better off they will be.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The bigger the better. Indoors I like 4x8'. Outdoors, I like as much space as is practical. There are no set guidelines and everyone will have a different opinion. 8x8' is big enough, but 20x20 is better. I try to build my outdoor enclosures so that they fit into the existing landscape in some way or other. I like to incorporate shade bushes, corners, hills, etc. I'll often add logs or big rocks for sight barriers. Burrows and things to hide or rest under too. The more interesting you make it the better off they will be.

Wow thanks for all the advice! I lowered the temps a bit and he calmed down alot, im going to start by making his enclosure 6 feet long, i have to find a place for him since it wont fit in my bedroom. Once it begins to warm up a outdoor enclosure will set up :D do you leave the tortoise outside all the time, or just part time?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm not sure where you live but here in so cal a russian can be housed outdoors all year. I am currently working on a 17'x7' pen for a future russian and will house mine outdoors.

With your indoor enclosure, decorate it, ALOT!

Make mounds/hills of dirt. Place rocks that he has to walk around, plants that he can go under and around. The more he has "to do" the better. Breaking up his line of sight helps keep some of the attention off of the walls of the enclosure.

towelie200

5 Year Member
thanks for all that great info! I just mound made some mounds and added some rocks for now! He seems more "entertained", lets hope this hold until I can extend the enclosure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.