Tortoise tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
So I was looking at the closed enclosures and came up with this. The humidity is in the 80% range and over and the temps are 70-90. The plants are aloe, asberegus fern, and petunias. I used repti-bark and coco fiber mixed with hydro balls underneath to keep water under it ad keep it humid. I don't have my sulcata yet but wanted to make sure this was good beforehand.

Attachments

• image-4010297306.png
    image-4010297306.png
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 214
  • image-326876859.png
    image-326876859.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
  • image-3480020999.png
    image-3480020999.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 171

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks very nice, however without seeing the tortoise in there I don't know if its big enough or not.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Those are the same dimensions of my tank. I have a 9 month old leopard. It will do for a bit, but a sully will outgrow it faster.
This size tank will last longer if you have a separate big outdoor pen and this one is used only part time and at night.

Did you remove the lid or top?
You may want to consider a lid for a humid environment for a sulcata hatching.

The cosmetics look fantastic though. Very beautifully decorated.

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
I have plenty of room outside and when the weather warms up will make an outdoors enclosure. I have the lid on and the humidity is at 80. Thank you, even though I know it'll be torn up pretty quick

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Personally, I would remove the foam.background and add a regular fake background, that way you get the FULL space of the dimensions you listed.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Looks nice but tortoise need exercise to stay healthy, so it's too small. It should be okay for a baby.

morloch

5 Year Member
It looks great,, but I would create more space in the centre for roaming, but leave his hiding space on the end perhaps. Otherwise,, a beautiful temporary setup!!

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
I don't think the house will last long the roof is low so I'm going to get a different kind soon and move everything around when I do. The house was a gift I'm only using it to make the person happy it's too bulky for my taste

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks like some sort of "double decker" design. Is that right? So the tortoise won't have access to the hydro balls when it starts digging around? Looks pretty good.

Where are you getting your tortoise? Have you read the links in my signature already. Lots of useful sulcata info there.

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
It opens in the front so I can leave my top on, and I have a blanket on top to keep in the heat.

I'll have to find the link but they have a health guarantee and soak daily and provide all the care info, like humidity and temps. I have read them, they're very helpful, thank you.

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
Okay so now I'm having trouble getting my humidity to stay above 70 during the day. I get home and its at 50. Any suggestions? I have a blanket covering the mesh top. I mist it in the morning and when I get home. I have a saucer of water in there. Can I move it closer to the heat lamp?

Okay so now it's being difficult. I can seem to keep the humidity over 60 when I leave, before I leave I mist it with warm water and leave everything at 80-90 humidity and 70-90 degrees but when I come home it's at 50 and 70-90. What's a good way to keep a constant humidity? I have the top covered.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
ktkurtz1232 said:
before I leave I mist it with warm water
I have the top covered.

the misting water only wets the surface and your lights dry it out by the time you are home and see the lower humidity levels.

try pouring a cup or 2 of warm water into the enclosure and mixing it around..then the moisture will take alot longer to evaporate.

i personally mist with warm water in the morning...but i use the entire bottle when misting and if my hand gets tired i pour the remaining water into the tank like im recommending you to do.

see if this helps

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
I have a blanket covering the top, does the foil help more? He came in today, and I've been spraying and pouring water in like crazy and took off from school to soak him and put some food in his bowl. But he's more interesting in the aloe. Which he's eating a whole arm off of.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would out foil down and maybe the blanket on to hold it down. The blanket is probably keeping it in slightly but the water can (how do i put this..) Sorta evaporate into the blanket whereas the foil will be nore of a barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.