Tortoise table..

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello everyone!
Firstly I wanted to apologise for all my posts on here! I must be getting so annoying but I just wanna get the bet and most information possible so that I can provide my tort with the best care!

I'm looking into building a tortoise table and have read a lot of other forums so know the basics.
Im planning on buying a large book case and transforming that into Percy's new home.
I have a number of questions:

What substrates shall I include? What's the best way of separating substrates from each other?
What shall I use for his water dish? I can't seem to find something that has the right amount of depth for him!
What additional 'decorations' as such should I include?

Any other ideas, advice and tips would be fab as I'm a first time tort owner!
Thank you x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Immie: I'm sorry if we've made you feel unwelcome. And I apologise for my comment on the other thread.

Yes, we do enjoy 'playing' on the Forum, but our main reason to be here is to help folks with their tortoises. So you don't ever have to feel like you need to apologise for asking too many questions. It is not annoying and we'll help you if we can.

I like small or fine grade orchid bark. But quite a few folks here like coco coir.

A clay plant saucer big enough that he can fit his whole body in side of will do nicely as a waterer. It is the correct depth, plus the sloping sides make it easy to climb in and out of.

You can use any "sight barriers" that you find pleasing. Just try to look at them through your tortoise's eyes to make sure they're safe for him.

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Check local listings for free bookshelves, too. Here in the states we see that a lot.

You can use anything "earthy" as long as it is free from chemicals. Use 1 type, or more but 1 works just fine. No need to separate them should you use more than 1. Your tort will want to dig down into it and mess up the layers anyway.

I love to use the terra cotta saucers sold for potted plants for water dishes. They are inexpensive, look nice, safe and easy to find a size or color you prefer.

Decorations...try to make the enclosure look like a patch of the great outdoors. Some small hills, rocks, driftwood, plants..etc. I prefer natural looking enclosures and I think the torts enjoy them too ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello everyone!
Firstly I wanted to apologise for all my posts on here! I must be getting so annoying but I just wanna get the bet and most information possible so that I can provide my tort with the best care!

I'm looking into building a tortoise table and have read a lot of other forums so know the basics.
Im planning on buying a large book case and transforming that into Percy's new home.

What substrates shall I include? What's the best way of separating substrates from each other?
What shall I use for his water dish? I can't seem to find something that has the right amount of depth for him!

Thank you x
Hello everyone!

Thank you x
Is there a home bargains near you. They have coco coir at the cheapest price. 3ltr block is £1.79. Or huge 20ltr pack for a fiver.
Find a 2nd hand furniture shop for a cheap book shelf. Could probably get one for £10/£20.

immiexxo

UK
Is there a home bargains near you. They have coco coir at the cheapest price. 3ltr block is £1.79. Or huge 20ltr pack for a fiver.
Find a 2nd hand furniture shop for a cheap book shelf. Could probably get one for £10/£20.

Yes we do. Where do I find it in store? I don't even know what it is.
Tomorrow is my day off so I'll look around. I've checked on buy and sell facebook pages and can't seem to find anything as of yet but will search shops tomorrow to find something. Thank you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Tomorrow is my day off so I'll look around. I've checked on buy and sell facebook pages and can't seem to find anything as of yet but will search shops tomorrow to find something. Thank you.
Its in the garden section, its actually a base for potting plants. There no naughty additives in it, that's why its so cheap. I've used it for over a year now for all my torts, had no problems. 1x 3ltr block when water is added will fill your sink bowl up to give you an idea of what you need.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
When you do get your book case line the bottom and sides with a shower curtain or pond liner before putting in the substrate to prevent the wood from molding

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Come on immie, homebargains has been open 14minutes now. Lol. For the linen as suggested, shower curtain or pond liner. I accidentally stumbled across some sheeting in B&Q that I used last time. It's as strong as pond linear but half the price. Can't remember what its called, but its on the builders section.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Find a 100% solid wood book case. One that is made out of pressed board (Particle board) will quickly begin to fall apart at the first sign of moisture and will get moldy also. Yes. With a shower curtain liner.
(Pond liner material is very expensive.)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi. Did you manage to get any coir?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
None in stock today, been told to go back Friday when they get their delivery x

If you can , Try and stock up on it, when gardening season is over they will stop selling it. You can get it from pet shops but its £7 for 3ltr.

immiexxo

UK
I'll grab a few bags in that case then. Thank you for the advice x