Tortoise table input

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
I recently liberated two Russians from the local pet store. I currently have them in an old aquarium while I design and build a table. Wondering what are some necessities and really good extras I could include in it. I'm thinking of putting one covered hiding spot on each side of the table, a pebble garden in the middle and some vegetation. Also without adding a cover to it, what's the best way to get the humidity to stay up but not lose any ventilation? I wanna give these guys the best I can give them. After completion I am considering getting more. My current table design looks to be about 3 foot wide by 8 foot long. So give me all your ideas and pics if you like. I'm gonna try to keep a post on my progress.

Eddie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You don't need a lot of humidity if these guys are bigger than 4". A humid hide on either side should be enough. I would not use pebbles because of the potential for ingestion and blockage. Instead use big "river rocks" that are much too big for them to swallow, or you can arrange pieces of slate or sandstone.

Also be aware that russians are very territorial and aggressive. Be ready with a spare enclosure for each animal you acquire. You may have to separate them. If they all get along, hey that's great. Just don't assume they will.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eddie and welcome to the Forum!

Your new "liberated" ( :D ) tortoises are older and won't need a moist substrate....that is, unless you want to keep the dust down. But with an older steppe tortoise you run the risk of shell rot if they have to sit in moisture.

The more sight barriers you have the better chance you have of them getting along. Two males WILL fight. A male and a female don't work either because the male will pester the female until she stays hiding all the time. Sometimes you have aggression between females when there are two females. To get around this, you either have two pens or lots of sight barriers. Also, you never allow one tortoise to be in the pen by itself because then it establishes that the pen is his territory and he has to chase all intruders out. So once you build the pen, add the tortoises at the same time.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
Good stuff!!! I will start designing with Google Sketch Up!! Keep the input coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.