Tortoise Swollen and Dead

VictorP

5 Year Member
Today I came home and went outside and found that one of my leopard tortoises died. His legs and neck were all swollen and extended out of his shell! There were flies and super small worms I'm guessing maggots on his neck. All of the other ones were fine how could this have happened? Is it that it got bit by something? Ants? Rat? so sad :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, I am so very sorry:(. I have no idea what could have happened. I would try to figure it out seeing you have more. I would keep the others maybe in another enclosure until you can figure out what happened. Again, so sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After a body has been dead for a while, all the gasses start to build up inside and the body swells. He didn't die because of the swelling, the swelling happened because he died. No one will ever know why, unless you have the tortoise necropsied.

I'm so sorry this happened to your tortoise. Was it a large tortoise? Very sad!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Any chance he got any slug or snail bait? Poisonous plants? Had it been acting normally in the days prior to its death?

VictorP

5 Year Member
nope no slug medicine but I recently expanded their outdoor enclosure

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Very sorry for your loss. What a terrible shock to come home to.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry to hear of your tort's death. I would have a necropsy performed if I were you, especially if you have others you'd want to protect.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I'm still shocked from reading the title. I am so very sorry.
I hope you are able to piece together what may have happened so your others are surely safe.

VictorP

5 Year Member
alright today I moved all of them into my indoor enclosed patio and build a good sized area surrounded by blocks and has lots of hiding areas. could the cold have killed them? It dropped down to 50 degrees once.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Leopards can take it down to 50 on occasion. Wouldn't make it a habit. I get worried when it goes down below 60. I'm concerned about the extended neck. Possibility of insect bite comes to mind. Wasp or Hornet could have stund the tortoise in the head, neck or throat. Especially with the swelling. Depending on how long the tortoise has been dead, the necropsy may yield not much, with a lot of autolysis of the tissues, may not get cause of death. Sorry about your loss.
Recently lost a Radiated adult male unknown cause. Talk about a bite in the ***.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Sorry to hear about your loss too, Deadhead. I'm a huge Radiata fan and wannabe keeper.
Not knowing is the worst! You have an advantage over most of us, so it must be extra frustrating for you.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Yeah, when pathogens are always a possibility unknown cause of deaths can really be problematic. Since that animal died, I have had animals in separate set ups to absolutely sure I wasn't dealing with a contagion. So far everyone is fine. Tough having multiple animals in multiple set ups for months on end. I have tortoises scattered in different parts of my house until the spring. Lucky I have the space. I even have a group at my vet hospital.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
My heart dropped with the leopard passing away and dropped again to hear about the adult radiated. Oh goodness. These are the worse things to read but thank you for sharing, as it might help others in the future in some way. I am so very sorry for both of these losses. So.Tragic. Sigh. : (