Tortoise (substrate question)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Regardless of what species of tortoise you have, this is not a good substrate to use.

I prefer fir bark or cypress mulch.

What is your tortoise species?

Gemspink

West Sussex
Hi I'm a little worried about the soil I'm using for my tortoise can anyone help me please I have got to male hermanns

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You say "them." Do you have two tortoises? This may be one of your problems. Tortoises don't do well in pairs.

Another problem may be the temperature. Tortoises have to be able to warm up their inner core temperature to at least 80F degrees or else the food doesn't digest. They don't eat if they're not warm enough.

May we please see a picture of your whole enclosure, including the tortoises?

Gemspink

West Sussex
You say "them." Do you have two tortoises? This may be one of your problems. Tortoises don't do well in pairs.

Another problem may be the temperature. Tortoises have to be able to warm up their inner core temperature to at least 80F degrees or else the food doesn't digest. They don't eat if they're not warm enough.

May we please see a picture of your whole enclosure, including the tortoises?
Yes to males I'm to find a new setup for one of tham what kind of soil do you reckon top soil like sea soil and coco coil or can I bye from a garden centre the soil x1548864150041.jpeg

Gemspink

West Sussex
Is this ok to use for my hermann tortoises please as there topsoil and some coco coil Screenshot_20190130-164751.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they are both male.

No, I would not use that top soil.

Coco coir would be ok.