Growing Dandelions in Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I have no problem growing grass/clover mix in about 3" of soil. But I can't get any dandelions to pop up. Do they require more depth?

Also, I've just been useing seeds from the yard. Are dandelion seeds bought online any different?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I don't think online seeds are any different. I've heard that freezing them first increases germination.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
maaaan, you know what...if you plant a section of yard and DO NOT WANT them to grow...you will have a great crop pop up....but if you are ACTUALLY TRYING to get the darn things to grow it is like rocket science....LOL

I have been trying to get them to grow on my property for the last 3 years....well this year I actually have some sprouting in the yard on the outskirts of the sun/shade under the mimosa tree.....and the flowers are seeding and blowing in the wind...so we will see what we get over the next late winter early spring.... :D

And the seeds are the same, they collect from the plant and yes, bringing the temps on them to near freezing before planting is SUPPOSE to help....I say that with eyebrows lifted as I think that they know you want them to grow and so they are being stubborn,,,,,LOL Good luck to you for sure...

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I haven't had much luck cultivating them. I just pick wild ones.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ok so now I have near lost all hope of growing a lush crop of them....if jackrat who lives in a prime zone for dandelions to run a muck and cant get the darn things growing and Yvonne has trouble getting them to grow in her lush paradise...then I am essentially screwed here in the desert...LOL :D

oh and yes, they do have a deep rooting system :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have the same problem. Tried to grow seeds in redi-pots with no luck in the summer. So I gave up, but didn't throw out the redipots. Left them in another pot of squirrel eaten plants, on top of the soil. The other day I saw something sprouting in the redipots. Is it the dandelion seeds or just something else that blew in. Dunno. Fingers crossed.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I have a wild dandelion that I picked from the front yard and I planted it in the tank and it is really thriving under the UVB light.

I also have some dandelion seeds that sprouted in the tank but they never did outside.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
When we moved into our house 4 years ago we had LOTS of dadilions... it was one of the 1st weeds WalkingRock innialated and 4 years later the only ones he gets are the ones that grow outside the fence! he is slowly taking out the monkey grass that grows in several ares of the yard, but those are mainly eaten durring the winter when his favorite bermuda grass goes dormant... he also eats the alfalfa grass when it comes up but its thin and he doesnt seem to enjoy it much.

kameya

10 Year Member!
Orange County, California
I was lucky enough to have a section of my backyard garden the grows only dandelions and nothing else. They just sprouted naturally, and I water them every single day. My two Hermanns love these dandlions. I hand pick the leaves and stems to feed them every other day, and the leaves will grow back pretty quickly.
Dandelions01.jpg

Dandelions02.jpg

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
When I first had some in the yard Cooper would eat them, now he acts like he is scared to death of them big yellow things. Bad thing is I have a bunch in my yard in the spring and summer.... Silly tort :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I bought a small dandelion plant at the nursery and I just stuck it in the soil in my outdoor enclosure and it's doing fine. It's only been 3 weeks. I can't use the ones in my yard because we have sprayed our yard in the past. Good luck! I can't keep any indoor plants alive in my indoor. Everything turns yellow within days.

Status
Not open for further replies.