Tortoise shows

jjaymeza

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth
Hey everyone I was wondering if there are any tortoise shows where people show their animals and you can meet breeders and see all the different kinds? If so how do you go about getting tickets?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not that I have ever heard of, not like a dog show. Well, other then reptile shows where they are either selling reptiles of all kinds or "educating", and I say that loosely, the public on different reptile species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone I was wondering if there are any tortoise shows where people show their animals and you can meet breeders and see all the different kinds? If so how do you go about getting tickets?

They have reptile shows all over the country on a regular basis. I just did a internet search and many options came up in your area.

Problem is that most tortoise breeders have been doing it wrong for decades and still don't know it, or aren't willing to change it. You are likely to get bad info and babies that were started wrong. Another problem is that the best breeder for whatever species you are looking for might not be near you, or might not go to reptile shows.

Read this for a better understanding of what goes wrong:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
You'll hear about how they only lose 3-4%, or 10%, and how some babies just aren't meant to survive. Its complete BS.

I, and many other breeders who keep their babies hydrated have 100% survival rates. This is how:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
They have reptile shows all over the country on a regular basis. I just did a internet search and many options came up in your area.

Problem is that most tortoise breeders have been doing it wrong for decades and still don't know it, or aren't willing to change it. You are likely to get bad info and babies that were started wrong. Another problem is that the best breeder for whatever species you are looking for might not be near you, or might not go to reptile shows.

Read this for a better understanding of what goes wrong:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
You'll hear about how they only lose 3-4%, or 10%, and how some babies just aren't meant to survive. Its complete BS.

I, and many other breeders who keep their babies hydrated have 100% survival rates. This is how:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

I really want to go but honestly I just prefer to see tortoises I don’t really care to see other reptiles. Is there on for just tortoises?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, what about that symposium in Arizona? That's strictly turtles and tortoises. There must be more like that.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well, what about that symposium in Arizona? That's strictly turtles and tortoises. There must be more like that.
That is all chelonians for sure, but closer to a conference than a show or a sales show where vendors are selling animals. However this annual meeting in November run by The turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group runs into a week end of a herp. seller show which has many tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is indeed a Tortoise show that is similar to a dog show. Best of type and best overall categories. The New York Turtle and Tortoise Society has an annual show. At times it has seemed little weird, but it is sorta cool at the same time.
Yes! And some local turtle clubs also put on an annual "show."

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
That is all chelonians for sure, but closer to a conference than a show or a sales show where vendors are selling animals. However this annual meeting in November run by The turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group runs into a week end of a herp. seller show which has many tortoises.

So do I just go online to get tickets or how does one go to view it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is indeed a Tortoise show that is similar to a dog show. Best of type and best overall categories. The New York Turtle and Tortoise Society has an annual show. At times it has seemed little weird, but it is sorta cool at the same time.
Really, seems very weird. Please tell me they don't try to run them around a ring LOL. Kidding.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Lol that would be so funny and so cute at the same time I’d be at every show!
Although that would be interesting to watch it's probably similar to the rabbit or cat shows where the animal is in a cage and only taken out long enough to be examined.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Really, seems very weird. Please tell me they don't try to run them around a ring LOL. Kidding.
You can go to their webpage, and look at images of past shows, including people who parade their turtles around in Barbie cars, dress them up, kiss them, and express other physical expression of like and love. The balance is that the awards are not based on kookiness, but on the narrative of the keeper to the show judge, who also looks at how healthy the turtle or tortoise is, if their has been captive breeding, how long they have managed the husbandry of the turtle or tortoise etc. The Judge had often been Bill McCord, if you don't know who he is, no telling how significant his contribution to chelonian husbandry and science can be made here, too many years. Or others with less, but still significant experience and perspective.