Tortoise shell looks unusual????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
Hello,
I adopted a sulcata about a year ago. She has mild pyramiding, but otherwise in great health. She is a grazer in my yard and I just recently noticed the side of her shell doesn't look right. It looks as if it's seperating at the seams. I tried doing some research on my own and couldn't come across anything like it. Please help :)

Sorry, I forgot to add the attachment.
Here is a picture.
Thanks

Attachments

• Rosie.JPG
    Rosie.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 81

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That MIGHT just be an area of new growth. Does it seem moist at all? The area between the scutes is where new growth happens, and it is usually a different color from the hardened older shell material, but after a bit of time it also turns hard. Unless it weeps (turns moist) or smells, I would thing its probably just new growth.

Yvonne

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
I hope so!
Is it normal to happen on only one side of the shell and not the other?
It doesn't smell or feel moist, but it does feel soft.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, its not normal, however its not unusual. Sometimes one side grows and the other side doesn't. Take a look at this picture:

65lbfemmanouria6-26-07.jpg

Notice the jagged line between the scutes running from front to back? That's an irregular growth spurt. The other side, barely visible in this picture, is not like that at all. It is merely a normal growth line.

This usually isn't a problem. And, I could be wrong too. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to weep or smell, it MIGHT be some sort of shell rot or fungus and it would need to be treated.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.