Tortoise shell help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Is this normal or ok? Its like peeling off!!!ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365132394.595297.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365132406.644825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Unlike turtles, I didn't think tortoises shed the scutes... I would be worried about shell rot.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I don't think it's shell rot because its only this area.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
So it's a small area of shell rot? If it covered the whole shell, it would be a really bad case. What's your enclosure like? Temps, humidity, etc.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Substrate is like pebble stuff vase layer and then ontop of that I have a mixture of a bit of coco fibre with ecoearth and bamboo leaves ontop. Humidity is 50 and temps are 30-35.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Is it possible that a fungus came in with the imported leaves or plants? I'd take it to a qualified vet... You can't be too careful with something as precious as a Ploughshare.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Should I spray it with a disinfecting thing that kills bacteria. Its designed for tortoises and lizards...

I did turn on the misting machine on a lot lately, but the radiated's seemed to have no affect or reaction to it, they always stood tall and enjoyed it. The ploughshare also seemed to like it though. Thus it helped keep humidity a bit higher

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
If it is shell rot (it may not be), the treatment seems to be an iodine wash followed by an athlete's foot cream applied twice a day to the effected area. Were it mine, I'd take it to a vet, just to be on the safe side.

Radiated

5 Year Member
There are no vets here that know how to treat tortoises...

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Living in FLorida, I have seen shell rot numerous times. We call it "scud" down here.
Please ship your tortioses to me and I will rid your tortoises of that serious disease.

:)

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Is the spot damp, mushy, stinky, or soft to the touch?

or

Is it dry and flaky?

skottip said:
Living in FLorida, I have seen shell rot numerous times. We call it "scud" down here.
Please ship your tortioses to me and I will rid your tortoises of that serious disease.

Haha!!!

Radiated

5 Year Member
Its dry and flaky

skottip said:

Haha I wish i could!!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.