Shell rot ??

LEO037

Please help me identify the issue with my rad's marginal shell and costal shell. As you can see the back marginal shell is kind of peeling off. It was like this since I got him/her. There are signs of new growth so I guess it is not a huge problem but still please help me understand what is causing the issue, and how to treat it.
Temperature 79-88, Humidity 60-75.
Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_0211.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0179.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 106

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The photo isn't good enough to discern clearly, but it looks like a knock or scrape to me.

Shell rot usually starts on the plastron, not there. Is the plastron clear?

Some athlete's foot cream won't do any harm if you're concerned.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I see to pics of a beautiful tortoise, on these pics i see nothing of concern. The pics that open for me are thr 2 images of a carapace

LEO037

The photo isn't good enough to discern clearly, but it looks like a knock or scrape to me.

Shell rot usually starts on the plastron, not there. Is the plastron clear?

Some athlete's foot cream won't do any harm if you're concerned.
Thanks for your reply. I took two more pictures, one shows the plastron. You can see the shell is not even near the center.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 81

LEO037

I see to pics of a beautiful tortoise, on these pics i see nothing of concern. The pics that open for me are thr 2 images of a carapace
Thanks for your reply. I have two more pics upload above, please take a look too. Thanks again

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Sorry, I'm having trouble with my mobile device and not able to open pic files. One of the new pics opened and that looks like carapace. If you are concerned about shell rot we really need to see her underside

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
This is not shell rot, this is normal nothing to worry about. This happens when a new growth line comes in often after a seasonal change where growth stops for some time. Can also happen when you take a tortoise from inside out, or outside in. Over time it will not even be noticeable, and often any nicks will repair themselves. If you are worried about it, shellac the shells with coconut oil!

LEO037

This is not shell rot, this is normal nothing to worry about. This happens when a new growth line comes in often after a seasonal change where growth stops for some time. Can also happen when you take a tortoise from inside out, or outside in. Over time it will not even be noticeable, and often any nicks will repair themselves. If you are worried about it, shellac the shells with coconut oil!
Thanks for your reply!

tygoh

5 Year Member
Far far away.....!
Agreed with coastal comments. This are the new growth lines, at times you will see or feel uneven on the carapace.