Tortoise seed mix graze box

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
So I realize my babies will grow much bigger eventually but I made a little graze box for them to enjoy during colder months. We live in an area that fertilizes the grass so I grow my own mix for them to graze daily on. They really love it.

Question for the senior members. @yvonne @wellington Are plant SPROUTS higher in protein and should be limited or is this ok? I had a fully grown box that they seemed to bask in rather than eat.

Then I put them in the sprout box and they went bonkers eating! :D

Thanks! :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405114899.817061.jpg

Flipper

MO, USA
What a good idea :) how long did it take you you seeds to start sprouting?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Oh jeez like a week. It was fast. They won't grow in the enclosure very well but in the direct sunlight they grew fast. It's amazing how much impact natural sunlight has on plants. That's why I try to get my torts as much sunlight as possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for including me, but although senior in age, well not really, I'm not senior in tortoise care. All i'v learned, well, 95% has been from this forum.
However, I asked a weed question a couple years back and what I learned from Yvonne, is that once the weeds get too big, they start to taste bitter. How big, not really sure. So, I would imagine the newer sprouts taste much better. I also have noticed that after my lawn is cut, my torts graze much more then when the grass needs cutting, but still not really that tall. I am just guessing that they would also be more nutrient when first coming up. Hope that kinda answered your question:D

Last edited:

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
That would make sense why they boogied down on the sprouts and not the full grown. They really ARE nature's little Lawnmowers!!! :D

Thank you for your help. :)

Kitkat1989

This is such a good idea, I started my own little graze box for Walt today, put a few different flowers in that he can eat and tortoise seed mix I picks up from a friend who grows all her own food for her torts so fingers crossed mine starts to grow soon! Thanks for idea!