Tortoise scales peeling off

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I recently picked up a tortoise from pets smart (a month ago)..... Her enclosure was labeled green but I think she looks like a Russian tortoise . When I first brought her home I took her to the vet for a check up the vet said she had a RI and gave her antibiotics . She hasn’t eaten in four days , she sleeps 24/7 and I’m getting worried . Her eyes are clear her shell is nice and hard her leg reflexes are strong . Her back legs are shedding her scales pretty bad . I do a warm soak for 12 minutes every other day . She has a proper set up . Has anyone had this problem that can give me some advice it’s my first month owning a tortoise . By the way her name is Zöe !114778CF-A2E0-4ECD-85E7-BB8A6C369E9A.jpeg1BDE1EE3-0803-437D-B6FA-BE95927017E1.jpeg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
She has a beautiful shell! They do shed the scales, it's probably not as bad as it seems. Also, they can go pretty long without food, so don't panic immediately. She probably isn't eating as much because of the antibiotics. Just keep the heat high in the basking spot, keep doing the soaks, keep offering food, and wait until the antibiotics wear off and the RI is completely gone.

Domm

PA
She has a beautiful shell! They do shed the scales, it's probably not as bad as it seems. Also, they can go pretty long without food, so don't panic immediately. She probably isn't eating as much because of the antibiotics. Just keep the heat high in the basking spot, keep doing the soaks, keep offering food, and wait until the antibiotics wear off and the RI is completely gone.
Thank you so much ! She did get the antibiotics almost three weeks ago , so i wonder if it’s still running through her system . Her basking spot is hot it’s about 95-100....

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Thank you so much ! She did get the antibiotics almost three weeks ago , so i wonder if it’s still running through her system . Her basking spot is hot it’s about 95-100....
3 weeks.. that is a while.. I would wait until someone more experienced comes.. don't stress about it, she'll be fine. Try feeding the white part of romaine, crushed up. My tortoises would NEVER resist that in their whole life. Just put her under the basking spot for a little, then when she is warmed up a bit, get a leaf of romaine, and crush the whitest parts with your fingers so it creates a strong smell. It is irresistible to my tortoises. That is what I did when they were on meds for worms and didn't want to eat as much.

Domm

PA
Can we see pictures of the entire enclosure? It looks nice, from what you shared.
It’s 4 ft long , I have the forest floor mix on the bottom , I spray it to keep the humidity up.... I have the power sun uvb bulb ... the dual black light has the red night light and just a bright day light .... I usually put her food on the black slate in the corner . She seems to love the bulb she’s always snoozing under it . She has been so lethargic that when I pick her up she can’t even open her eyes for two minutes of me waking her . Thanks for taking a look I just want to make sure she’s getting the best care . 4A761BB7-157B-4C93-94CE-440C18CCC5B2.jpegC10E2666-0853-4082-AE31-63B570EE6CEB.jpegCFAB7CCF-50E6-4CFB-AF75-43AF8962C9B8.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It’s 4 ft long , I have the forest floor mix on the bottom , I spray it to keep the humidity up.... I have the power sun uvb bulb ... the dual black light has the red night light and just a bright day light .... I usually put her food on the black slate in the corner . She seems to love the bulb she’s always snoozing under it . She has been so lethargic that when I pick her up she can’t even open her eyes for two minutes of me waking her . Thanks for taking a look I just want to make sure she’s getting the best care . View attachment 291776View attachment 291778View attachment 291779
A few problems with the enclosure-
-it’s too small. Pet smart tortoises are wild caught adults, and yours requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

-red lights shouldn’t be used for reptiles of any species. Despite how they’re marketed, your tortoise can see both the color and the light. Not only does this interrupt circadian rhythms, but it can cause them to eat their substrate. Your tortoise does not need head at light unless temps fall below 60.

-you need a water bowl. This should be a large terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.

-you could definitely use another hide or two, and a few sight barriers.

-those analog gauges are completely inaccurate. You need digital thermometers and hygrometers, and preferably a temp gun

-misting will not keep up humidity. You need to dump a pitcher of water into the substrate and mix it around.
Be sure to give these a read, and come back with questions-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Domm

PA
Okay thank you for the tips! I’m going to head to Lowe’s today to get a larger enclosure . Do you think that’s why she doesn’t move around at all she feels it’s too small? She kind of just sleeps and lays around 24/7.....