Tortoise running into wall.

Thecluelessrussian

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I have my Russian tortoise inside of my house in a 40 gal terrarium for 5 months and just now he has started to run into the walls and scrape at them as to escape what should I do to solve this or calm him down.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have my Russian tortoise inside of my house in a 40 gal terrarium for 5 months and just now he has started to run into the walls and scrape at them as to escape what should I do to solve this or calm him down.
The tortoise needs a larger enclosure. It is outgrowing the one you are using. Until you get a larger enclosure, you will have this problem. Try to get something about 6 feet long and 3 or 4 feet wide for it to have ample space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would putting up paper be a temporary solution so he wouldn’t continue to try and walk through the glass
No. Tortoises need a lot of space in their enclosures. I recommend 4x8 feet for adult Russian tortoises.

Hello and welcome! Check this thread out:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, he needs a proper sized home now. Go live in your smallest room for 5 months and see if you don't go crazy banging into the walls. Even a proper sized home is small but at least doable. 4x8 foot minimum
A 40 gallon is barely big enough for a hatchling.