Tortoise recommendations needed

Draekonic

Hi! I am hoping to get a tortoise sometime in the near future, but want to be sure I am getting the right species for me. I would like a small (preferably 15cm, 20 at most) easy to care for tortoise who would be comfortable without needing to stay outside longer than about two hours a day in the summer. Also, there isn't much space in our house, so a less active tortoise would be nice. Please can you recommend me a few species to check out ( i have already looked at hermanns and red footed ) or even better, some breeders in North Yorkshire who sell those species!

Thanks in advance

Draekonic

yillt

A Herman or a Russian would suit your needs perfectly.

M

Maggie Cummings

Why don't you consider a box turtle? They are fun, personable, get most of what they need from good food and are super easy keepers...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is not a tortoise species that I would recommend for you with that list of requirements. All tortoises, even the small species, need lots of room to roam around. 4x8' is the minimum enclosure size I recommend for most of them. Bigger than that would be better. Also ALL of them benefit from being outdoors in large enclosures during fair weather. 2 hours is better than no hours, but adult tortoises really do best when housed outside all day in fair weather. Nothing wrong with bringing them in at night for safe keeping if that is what your situation requires.

A blue tongue skink or a small snake species would foot the bill for you nicely though. Perhaps a bearded dragon or leopard gecko?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, no tortoise should live in a small habitat. All species are hard-wired to roam far and wide and being cooped up in a small habitat is stressful.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry I agree with Tom ! With your needs a lizard or a snake but not a tort .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
I am sorry, I know what it's like when you have your mind set on something but you really need to put the best interest of the animal at heart. Would you really want a pet that wasn't happy?

M

Maggie Cummings

Draekonic... Here's my male 3-toed box turtle I call the Goof BallIMG_1901.JPG , how can you resist that face? I personally think a box turtle would be good in the circumstances you describe...

Draekonic

Hey guys, just to add, I can spare some extra space and that shouldn't be a problem. However, the reason for the outdoor limit is that I have a dog... Also if you can recommend animals that do not require swimming in their habitats that would be great!

Draekonic

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians hermanns and greeks. Remember the rule of thumb for enclosures, a square foot of space for every square inch of tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Well...I think you got all the advice you need so I just here to welcomes you.