Need Help- Chosing A Tortoise?

Cycere

Pardon me if this is the wrong section.
I'm looking in the future (whenever I am best prepared to do so) to care for a tortoise. I live in North-Central Texas, but I may move in the next few years.
Before I continue my question, should I wait until its confirmed if I am moving or not before thinking of of getting a tortoise?
This would be my first tortoise, so I want to be thouroughly prepared.
I need suggestions on what to research, and/ir where, on anything and everything important, what sort of species/subspecies I should get (if I move it'll likely be to Oregon, so a vast change of climate), and everything.
Forgive me for requesting so much, I need to know where to start for my research, and preferably be able to start with a species in mind.

-Izzy

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
I'd go with any of the Mediterranean species that are more temperature tolerant...they'd be able to handle moves better, I think. My personal favorites are Hermanns...cute and tons of personality! Plus, more forgiving of conditions and beginner mistakes.

If you do decide on hermanns, check out Chris at gardenstatetortoise.com. He's a member here and THE hermanns breeder in the US. I got mine from him, and I couldn't be happier with my tort, the pricing, and Chris' customer service.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Izzy welcome to the TFO from AZ
It's really difficult for someone else to pick a tort for ya . Do you want a 100
Pound tort or smaller one . Do you want
A tort that's happy eating grass or one that eats fruit , veggys , and grass . Or
One that eats veggys and insects ? ( boxys ) do you have outside space for the tort . Or is it going in side ? I hope I've helped a little bit . Good luck with your choice .