Tortoise Recommendation For Current Situation

jarow

Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Virginia
Hi Everyone!

I have never owned a tortoise but am looking to do so soon.

I currently take care of several different species of lizards.

I have done some research, but want to hear some recommendations from those with experience. I am living in Southwestern Virginia. The winters can get to cold for a tortoise to live purely outdoors. I would be able to have my tortoise be out in sun on warm days, but would mainly like to have the tortoise reside in an indoor enclosure. I would like to have something medium sized (10-20 inches), but it seems most medium sized tortoises do not do as well in indoor enclosures as they would outdoors. I would not want to put the tortoise in a situation where they cannot live their best. I am fine with constructing an enclosure and can make something decently sized. I have previously made
a big wooden enclosure for my monitors. A tortoise with an active, sociable temperament would be preferred. While I can accommodate higher humidity levels, a tortoise with a non-strict humidity requirement would be easier.

Thank you for your time!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m not sure there are any tortoises that size the can live indoors, but I do know of one that meets all of the other requirements! Russian tortoises are pretty personable, don’t need too much humidity, and do well indoors.

Keep in mind that there aren’t many tortoises that can live in smaller than an 8x4 foot enclosure, and Russians are no exception.

Please give these a read :)

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/.

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you have half a room to dedicate to the tortoises, you could do a red foot. They do well outdoors in your climate and could spend a few month per year indoors in a large enclosure. They are also hardy, personable and easy to care for.

If you don't like those look into hermanni or marginated tortoises. Both of those are great too.

daniellenc

Maryland
RED FOOT!! They love our humid spring/summer, can eat almost anything, are very outgoing, medium sized, adorable, and do fine indoors November-through mid-April when it's typically below 70 degrees.