Tortoise ramming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkronic

5 Year Member
Once in a while mu bigger tortoise rams my other tortoise. What does this mean? not totally sure on there sex.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
More than likely they are territory fights. Dominance displays.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dominance displays between tortoises are not always sex related. As they mature, they start to become more jealous of their food and territory regardless of gender. Fighting includes butting and biting... blood is often drawn.

Many species of tortoise are solitary in the wild. They meet up for mating and move on. They don't get lonely and they don't want company. Redfoots (Redfeet?) are no exception to this.

In captivity, spaces are more confined and the attentions of the dominant tortoise can make the subordinate one withdrawn, become ill and ultimately die.

You really must keep an eye on this and may split them on a permanent basis... sooner rather than later for the sake of both of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would separate them now, before damage is done. However, if you have them in a really large area, you can add some sight barriers and maybe a couple more hiding spots and see if that helps it to stop. Keep a close eye on the ones getting butted, they may stop eating and roaming and get stressed, which could lead into illness and even death. Good luck

Dkronic

5 Year Member
It's a pretty big table 7-3ft, they are both about 5-7 inches. I used to have two Hidding spots but they would always be in the same one every morning.

Dkronic

5 Year Member
This is there table, them this morning, and when I came back with there food they were basking together

Pics didn't work last time

Attachments

• image-406250176.png
    image-406250176.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2263310199.png
    image-2263310199.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • image-1993795075.png
    image-1993795075.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image-1931565118.png
    image-1931565118.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image-265543757.png
    image-265543757.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • image-599791808.png
    image-599791808.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 35

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They often bask together because they have no other option, one basking light = one basking spot, that does not mean they like basking together. If they were in a larger enclosure it probably wouldn't matter, but indoor enclosure are rarely big enough for two tortoises.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
dmmj said:
They often bask together because they have no other option, one basking light = one basking spot, that does not mean they like basking together. If they were in a larger enclosure it probably wouldn't matter, but indoor enclosure are rarely big enough for two tortoises.
What he said :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are too big to be together in such a small area for their size. Nothing you can add or not add to their enclosure is going to help. They also need to be outside in warm temps, more then inside.

Dkronic

5 Year Member
Yea I'd be outside with them right now I it was worn enough it's only 12c here not warm enough outside yet

Guess its time to build another table

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dkronic said:
Yea I'd be outside with them right now I it was worn enough it's only 12c here not warm enough outside yet

Guess its time to build another table

In that case, you'll have to organise another table indoors. Even with lots of space they may not share well outdoors, I'm afraid.

Dkronic

5 Year Member
And I've seen both mont each other now the little guy is on the big one right now

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Probably... post a good photo of the tail and lower plastron (undershell) in a separate thread with details of their size.

Their sex doesn't come in to these disputes though. Females are as bad as males... and both sexes will mount, butt and bite.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very pretty tortoise you have there.....I believe that if you needed to you could separate the current enclosure into two (right down the middle) while you are putting together your second indoor enclosure....also I would add a few sections of plants in a variety of spots (canopy of hiding spots) within their enclosure.....I also would suggest a second hide and your enclosure is large enough that you could actually set up a basking spot on each end...then place two hides back to back in the middle of the enclosure and then if you add a variety of plant canopies and a second soaking dish...you may find a less stressed environment....and hey..if it does not work , the additional items you purchase or use would be items you need for the second indoor enclosure...:D

I personally find that pairs are a really hard thing to achieve....some folks say some species just are not aggressive ....this I absolutely do not agree with...some are less violent outright but mental bullying is prevalent in all species--it is just the way it goes........

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Redfoots are surprisingly gregarious for a tortoise, so even if they had a bigger enclosure with two different basking spots, they still might hang out together from time to time. Nevertheless, if they're both of the same sex, one of them is going to become dominant, and if they're of opposite sex, the male may try to court the female (even if neither one is mature yet!). Ramming may be part of aggressive behavior or courtship behavior. Either way, in the wild the one being rammed would eventually leave, but in captivity it can't. If the ramming goes on frequently or long enough, the one on the receiving end could get hurt, or stressed out enough to stop feeding and get sick. I'd watch them, and if it keeps happening, I'd separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.