Tortoise puking water

Oh.ha.ni

Location (City and/or State)
Mumbai
Hello i own a female star tortoise approx 7yrs old. I kept her in the sun and when i went to check in she was over heated so i quickly put her in water after that she has puked water nice. Is this very abnormal or something that can happen from over heating. I cant visit a vet due to lockdown. Plz help me

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I’m
Hello i own a female star tortoise approx 7yrs old. I kept her in the sun and when i went to check in she was over heated so i quickly put her in water after that she has puked water nice. Is this very abnormal or something that can happen from over heating. I cant visit a vet due to lockdown. Plz help me
I’m not understanding what you are trying to say would you clarify.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sounds like the tort was left out in the hot direct sun of India without any shady areas. Keeper came back later, noted a very lethargic tort due to sun/heat stroke. Tort vomited after being soaked. Is this normal?

In my opinion, sounds like a classic case of heat stroke/sun stroke. Body shuts down & things start to fail.

Good that the keeper soaked/rehydrated the tortoise - hopefully not in frigid cold water, just room temp water.

Hopefully this tort will recover.

✅ Always important to provide shade!

ps - Temps in Mumbai this time of year...low 90’s to 100. So, it’s hot!

Oh.ha.ni

Mumbai
Sounds like the tort was left out in the hot direct sun of India without any shady areas. Keeper came back later, noted a very lethargic tort due to sun/heat stroke. Tort vomited after being soaked. Is this normal?

In my opinion, sounds like a classic case of heat stroke/sun stroke. Body shuts down & things start to fail.

Good that the keeper soaked/rehydrated the tortoise - hopefully not in frigid cold water, just room temp water.

Hopefully this tort will recover.

✅ Always important to provide shade!

ps - Temps in Mumbai this time of year...low 90’s to 100. So, it’s hot!
Yes u r right....my doctor told me the tortoise stay in heat for long time and u provide little to no heat hence i kept it in direct sunlight i didnt know it would end in this disaster. Is therr any way i can stop him from puking water? She's done it twice already and the beak appears different than earlier. No vets are available due to corona. Plz help me how do i treat him in best way possible?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I doubt if a vet can really do anything that you havent already done. Keep out of the direct sunshine, make sure you provide extra soakings in warm (not hot or cold) water.

Make sure there is shade in the enclosure!

Upload a pix of the area/enclosure that you have. Good luck ??

Oh.ha.ni

Mumbai
I doubt if a vet can really do anything that you havent already done. Keep out of the direct sunshine, make sure you provide extra soakings in warm (not hot or cold) water.

Make sure there is shade in the enclosure!

Upload a pix of the area/enclosure that you have. Good luck ??
Shes puking a lot. I think almost 5 times now. Its all water. Does this happen due to overheating? Im in a lot panic there r no vets near me

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Vomiting is a sign of heat stroke in people, so it could be in tortoises too I suppose.

You do not want her to dehydrate, so I would put her in slightly warm water to just over where her shells meet and keep her there. You will have to stay with her so she doesn't drown. Don't let the water get cold.

While she was outside, did she have a water bowl with her? Is there a chance that this is a near drowning incident?

I don't know anything else to do for her. I hope she'll be ok.

Oh.ha.ni

Mumbai
I think my tortoise got heat stroke after keeping her in direct sun for sometime.... she was puking water n nasal discharge now she has slight blood mixed in discharge... is it some respiratory infection or heat stroke? She has not eaten in two days n does not sleep too. Her body seems cold. Im taking her to vet tomorrow to see what i can do. But should i soak her in water? I heard u r not suppose to that if they r puking lot of water n heavy discharge also wht should i feed her

KronksMom

Illinois
I hope @Yvonne G will reply soon, because I am certainly no expert. But if the animal is losing that much fluid than it will certainly be dehydrated. I would still soak in warm water just up to where the top shell meets the bottom. That way he can at least absorb a little hydration through the cloaca until you can get to the vet. But get to the vet as soon as you can.