Tortoise prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
I was just looking at the prices on http://tortoiseshack.com and OMG! Are those prices for real? I haven't shopped for tortoises other then what I have seen at my local pet shops. I can get them far cheaper! If those prices are real I'm gonna go buy a bunch to sell and quit my job! Haha!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Maybe cheaper than pet stores, but more expensive than a smaller breeder. For example, they're asking $200 for a baby leopard plus shipping, and I only paid $100 for mine plus shipping. I've seen them even cheaper than that in classifies. As low as $90.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Yeah they are selling 4'' to 6'' Russians for $289 and I can get one the same size down the road for $69. Hummmm? lol

karleyreed

5 Year Member
My western hermanns was £149.00 but that included microchipping and his papers. Which is quite cheap here in the uk

karleyreed

5 Year Member
TortyTom said:
What do you mean Papers? You mean tortoises are can be registered like a dog? REALLY?

I think it's a legal requirement here. Mine is an endangered species in the wild... Or so I was made aware lol. Which is why he is microchipped.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
The best thing, I think, is to get them from a good breeder, like some of the good ones that are on this forum. Then you will know your getting a well cared for tort that has been raised right.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
TortyTom said:
What do you mean Papers? You mean tortoises are can be registered like a dog? REALLY?
Annexe A species such as Hermann's require A10's.

TortyTom said:
Annexe A species such as Hermann's require A10's.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
I look at it like this if they are a reputable breeder and start/raise the hatchling properly I will pay a higher price to ensure I get a well started tortoise and not one that's going to drop dead in a few wks or months cause they weren't kept under proper conditions. But that's just my personnel opinion.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Shannon and Jason said:
I look at it like this if they are a reputable breeder and start/raise the hatchling properly I will pay a higher price to ensure I get a well started tortoise and not one that's going to drop dead in a few wks or months cause they weren't kept under proper conditions. But that's just my personnel opinion.

Wise decision...better to spend a little more for a healthy tortoise than buy a cheaper tortoise and spend a bunch on veterinary care (which still may not save the little beastie!)...

nicki

5 Year Member
Oh the breeder is very well known and very good just loves breeding as a hobby not for money making I made sure I looked into it :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I would also pay extra if I feel assured I'm getting a better quality tortoise.

What concerns me about the seller in this topic is the pics they use for their baby/juvenile leopards and Indian stars show pyramiding, which leads me to believe they're not using the methods some of us here have learned to keep them smooth.

I wouldn't pay extra for a tortoise that's going to start off pyramided. I'd rather start off with a smooth one and let my actions/mother nature decide the outcome.

From their website:

Baby-Leopard-Tortoise-Pic-1.jpg

Juvenile%20Indian%20Star%20TortoiseShack.jpg

Panamanian%20Red%20Foot%20Tortoise%20Juvenile.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.