Status
Not open for further replies.

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
INDIA (MUMBAI)
hello,
i have tow Indian star tortoise :)
my both Indian star tortoise poops whatever it eats.. i feed them tomato, coriander, hibiscus , cucumber, carrot etc.... am i giving them proper diet?? i put them in sun for around 1 hour. :) i soak them in warm water daily for 15mins :)

guys please help out i am scared of it having diarrhea .. :)

thanks

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I'm fairly new, so don't just take my word for it, but I read that when a tort. has undigested food in their poo, that it CAN be a sign of internal parasites.

This may not be the case with yours at all, I hope others will chime in and give their much more experienced advice as well!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. Where in the world are you? We call coriander cilantro here, and its fine as part of a varied diet.

I'm not a star expert, but their diet is similar to many other species. Tomato and cucumber will not kill them, but it should only be offered as a rare treat. A little carrot once in a while is fine, but its a little too high in sugar. The bulk of the diet should be safe weeds and leafy greens. Grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, spineless opuntia cactus, rose leaves, mulberry leaves are all good choices. From the store look for endive, escarole, swiss chard, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, all the different types of lettuce, parsley, watercress, etc... Variety is key. Hope this helps.

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
INDIA (MUMBAI)
Tom said:
Hello and welcome to the forum. Where in the world are you? We call coriander cilantro here, and its fine as part of a varied diet.

I'm not a star expert, but their diet is similar to many other species. Tomato and cucumber will not kill them, but it should only be offered as a rare treat. A little carrot once in a while is fine, but its a little too high in sugar. The bulk of the diet should be safe weeds and leafy greens. Grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, spineless opuntia cactus, rose leaves, mulberry leaves are all good choices. From the store look for endive, escarole, swiss chard, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, all the different types of lettuce, parsley, watercress, etc... Variety is key. Hope this helps.

i am in India....
:p
guys so is it fine what diet i m giving them?? or should i change..... people in normal shops suggested turtle food for my tortoise.... is it OK to feed them turtle food as it contains calcium and vitamins which i cant provide them in normal food..
:) please suggest me.. i m new to tortoise....

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
INDIA (MUMBAI)
Tom said:
Yeah, but what do you call cilantro? :p:p

hey,
any idea about how much time should i keep my tortoise in direct sun??

i keep them for half n hour daily.. n they start running in the tub which i have.. is it too much for it??
jehan reply as soon as possible
thank you :)

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
INDIA (MUMBAI)
hey
its winter season now :) i m in India :) its cold over here 11 degree's approx ..
Recently my two baby Indian star tortoise wake up at 8am approx n poop and eat n sleep at 11am approx .. now the main problem is that they dont wake up till mid night :( they dont drink much water :( n eat only onces a day if i dont wake them up they keep sleeping whole night n wake up in morning :( :( can u please help me out :( now a days sunlight not strong so no proper vitamin D :( .... n today i saw them minutely both skin very very dry :( n its peeling :( i m scared if they get a problem in future :( please help me out i m worried :( i love them alot :) please help me
thanks,
jehan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jehan:

Are your stars indoors? You can put a light over them to make them warmer. Here's what I did for some baby box turtles:

9-15-11boxbabies.jpg

The fixture on the left has a mercury vapor bulb (MVB). That provides heat plus UVB. The fixture on the right has a black light bulb that I turn on at night to keep them warm at night.

I think once you get your babies warmer day and night, they'll become more active and start eating again.

Status
Not open for further replies.