Tortoise pee

Hollymacd63

Location (City and/or State)
NH
So my newishly adopted Russian, Roswell, is like a whole new man. Way more active. More coordinated, voracious appetite. Eyes are lovely. But now here is my question….

How much should a tortoise pee?
My bf found this that had leaked out the corner of his table. Looks like a lot of pee to me but what do I know?

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 5
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 4

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I don't think that's pee considering the substrate would absorb it.Tortoise usually produce urates when they poop. Looks like white gum.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my newishly adopted Russian, Roswell, is like a whole new man. Way more active. More coordinated, voracious appetite. Eyes are lovely. But now here is my question….

How much should a tortoise pee?
My bf found this that had leaked out the corner of his table. Looks like a lot of pee to me but what do I know?
Its necessary to add moisture to your substrate periodically. That will be problematic with a leaky table.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Did he (the boyfriend) by chance dump water into the enclosure to moisten the substrate recently?

I had almost exactly the same problem a while ago and discovered that the plastic "tub" base in that section of my tortoise enclosure had developed a tiny crack and the water I had put into the substrate to moisten it had apparently collected in that part of the enclosure and then leaked through the little crack onto the floor.

So it might just be a leak in the tortoise table and not a leak FROM the tortoise...

Depending on how deep the substrate is, the tortoise would have to pee an incredibly huge amount for it to go through all of the substrate and then leak that much onto the floor.