Tortoise Pee

ForrestSBGT

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I have a female Russian tortoise who I've had for over a year now. She is quite heavy, has a huge appetite, and basks daily. Her tank temps are nearly perfect and her diet is well balanced. However, she has been peeing a lot. When I put her on the floor, for example, she will repeatedly pee. Sometimes she will even create giant puddles. Her urates are white and almost appear gritty. I don't know if this is normal. but here's a pic of her pee:

Attachments

• 20221027_171142.jpg
    20221027_171142.jpg
    902 KB · Views: 2

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
This could be a sign of dehydration. Do you soak your tortoise in warm water? Daily soaks for hatchlings/babies are recommended (for 20+ minutes), and several times per week for adults. Tortoises should have access to clean drinking water also.

I would recommend reading this care sheet if not done so already just to check you're covering all bases regarding hydration.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

She may also be releasing fluids due to stress, so might be worth considering how often she is being handled/taken out of enclosure. Floor temperatures can be cold, again, something to think about.

Hope this helps!

ForrestSBGT

Kentucky
This could be a sign of dehydration. Do you soak your tortoise in warm water? Daily soaks for hatchlings/babies are recommended (for 20+ minutes), and several times per week for adults. Tortoises should have access to clean drinking water also.

I would recommend reading this care sheet if not done so already just to check you're covering all bases regarding hydration.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

She may also be releasing fluids due to stress, so might be worth considering how often she is being handled/taken out of enclosure. Floor temperatures can be cold, again, something to think about.

Hope this helps!
I thought it was due to dehydration, so thank you for verifying!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Those are urates.

I've seen urates range from liquid to paste-like. Gritty is your indicator to up the hydration. This can be done through soaks, access to water always available and even increased moisture in the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a female Russian tortoise who I've had for over a year now. She is quite heavy, has a huge appetite, and basks daily. Her tank temps are nearly perfect and her diet is well balanced. However, she has been peeing a lot. When I put her on the floor, for example, she will repeatedly pee. Sometimes she will even create giant puddles. Her urates are white and almost appear gritty. I don't know if this is normal. but here's a pic of her pee:
I agree that more soaking is in order.

Also, the tortoise should never be on the floor. It is not safe and can't be made safe. Many die that way for in an ever-expanding list of ways.