Tortoise not eating

I put the food in there about 20 minutes ago and he still hasn't eaten it ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488839466.234707.jpg he falling asleep while he stares at it

GingerLove

5 Year Member
How long have you had him? Has he not eaten for a couple of days?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What temperature is he right now? What temperature was he the past 24hours? When did he last eat? How new is he to this enclosure? What does he usually eat?

You haven't given us anything to go on.

What temperature is he right now? What temperature was he the past 24hours? When did he last eat? How new is he to this enclosure? What does he usually eat?

You haven't given us anything to go on.
His temperature is about forty and he was out in this enclosure yesterday, he is use to eating lettuce which is what is there and he last eight Saturday, today is the first day I tried feeding him since then

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
About 40C? What are you measuring temperature with that you can't be more precise? I assume that's the basking temperature and not the overall enclosure temperature?

How low was the overnight low last night?

So I am reading this correctly, your tortoise is new to this enclosure as of this weekend?

About 40C? What are you measuring temperature with that you can't be more precise? I assume that's the basking temperature and not the overall enclosure temperature?

How low was the overnight low last night?

So I am reading this correctly, your tortoise is new to this enclosure as of this weekend?
Yes he is very new and it was about 60 degrees last night

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you're letting a sulcata get to 60F over night, it is no wonder that he is not eating. You need to provide night heat. Your enclosure shouldn't be lower than 80F, day and night. This is a tropical species and must be housed accordingly.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Then you understand that keeping him as cold as you were will prevent him from being able to digest his food and prevent his immune system from functioning correctly. Keep your sulcata warm, and he should start eating.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yes, he's probably getting ready to hibernate. Ginger looses her appetite in the winter, but I do my best to keep her warm and eventually she always starts eating again.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hm... if they don't hibernate... I wonder why he quit eating. It's probably too cold. If you post pictures of the new tank and give us more information, they could help you out a lot more! (Obviously I'm not a sulcata expert!!):p

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Even I have a very strong feeling that your tort is not warm enough. Torts do lose appetite when it's cold.