Tortoise nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
Do you guys file your tortoises nails or clip them? My sulcatas nails stay fine but I feel like my Redfoots nails are really sharp..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If you place some slate down in select spots of your enclosure then when your tort strolls about they will wear their nails down :D

Yes, tort nails can be clipped if you are experienced at it ..

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
Yeah in definitely not experienced in clipping tortoise nails. I will try your slate idea, thanks!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If you feel uncomfortable clipping the nails, you can also always file them with an emery board, in addition to having some slate in the enclosure. It doesn't have to be slate - flat stones of any kind will work.

fluffypanda17 said:
Yeah in definitely not experienced in clipping tortoise nails. I will try your slate idea, thanks!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I have some slates already in my enclosure, but I still see my torts' nail keep getting longer and longer...

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
I have some slates already in my enclosure, but I still see my torts' nail keep getting longer and longer...

You could cover a slate tile with fine grit sand paper

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
theelectraco said:
Yellow Turtle said:

You could cover a slate tile with fine grit sand paper

That seems a good idea, but wouldn't that be too abrasive to the plastron as well?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Maybe you could bury the tile half an inch under substrate and clear the center so when it walks over it it's feet touch but not really the shell.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
That's what I've done - I have the 'exposed' basking rock (which is a large flagstone that I got at the quarry... for free!), and then I have several smaller pieces that are about an inch burried into the substrate. My Russian tortoise's nails all look great. They were pretty long when I first got them.

theelectraco said:
Maybe you could bury the tile half an inch under substrate and clear the center so when it walks over it it's feet touch but not really the shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.