tortoise nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hello, I have seen some long nails and even missing on the tortoises on here. Can one clip their nails to prevent damage to them. I know they use them for diging, but if kept in and indoor enclosuer where they wouldnt get the amount of use as an out door animal, could you clip them down some??......Thanks.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I really wouldn't, You could just put some slate stone in there, it would help a lot. Maybe you could file them a bit but unless they are all curled and ridiculous I wouldn't worry too much except to provide the slate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. A few proper pieces of slate or really any ruffed flat rock will help file them down. Same reason to use a piece of slate or ruff flat rock to feed on. Keeps the beak filed. Unless like already stated, the nails or beak was in a tragic state or the tort was in pain or couldn't walk or eat because of the long nails or beak. It is best to try and get them filed down more naturally.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nails can be filed and or cut depending on the length. Just like dogs they do have a quick in them so you need to be careful, a natural way of doing it such as wearing down on a piece of slate would be a better option.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I haven't tried, but tort nails seems fairly thick, so my biggest concern would be the nail splitting lengthwise while clipping increasing the possibility of bleeding and/or infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.