Tortoise love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
It makes me sad that so many people here are afraid of snakes. I have two ball pythons, and though you might not believe it, they have very similar personalities to tortoises!

They are shy, and gentle and quiet, and they are docile unless they feel threatened. Both my boys are kittens. I don't think any animal should be equated to the devil. Anger and evil are human emotions with no place in the animal kingdom. A snake will not bite because it is angry. It bites because it is scared, or threatened. Snakes are not evil. They will not search you out to harm you. They are heat-seekers. All those "horror" stories of snakes in with babies and that sort of thing are not because the snake was trying to eat the baby....have you ever felt how warm a baby is? They are the perfect hot pad for a cold little snake! I try to teach tolerance for everything.
(this is Korrin, she's 3--in the first picture she's holding one of my snakes. You can see Nigel's home in the background. In the second, she's holding a crested gecko. She loves Anouk and Nigel. She calls the baby her "fancy little turtle :D)
Newpics--gecko010.jpg

Nigeloutsideenclosureandmomscres-4.jpg

But anyways, I love my tortoises because they are different than anything else that I own. (snakes, frogs, geckos) They have a higher capacity to learn, and feel I think, than my other reptiles who act mainly on instinct. I know Nigel recognizes my voice, and I know that he has favorite foods and a favorite sleeping spot. They are so prehistoric as well.

I guess I just love that you have to really pay attention to them to see their beauty. Most people ask me what my tortoises DO. To those that can't appreciate them, they seem dull. They are not as flamboyant as other reptiles, like chameleons. I think that they remind me alot of the best people in life...the ones who don't stand out until you know them, and then, you just can't stay away!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I guess I just love that you have to really pay attention to them to see their beauty. Most people ask me what my tortoises DO. To those that can't appreciate them, they seem dull. They are not as flamboyant as other reptiles, like chameleons. I think that they remind me alot of the best people in life...the ones who don't stand out until you know them, and then, you just can't stay away!

THAT was about the best description I have ever heard yet! I loved it.

sift

5 Year Member
I can't answer from the experience of having my own tortoise (yet! 18 more days!!!) but the reason I decided I wanted a tortoise was because of my friend's two redfoots. They come when they're called, follow you around like slow, sedate puppies, have such individual personality quirks, and basically demand that you love them. I don't have the room for redfoots right now so I had to choose something smaller. I can't help but adore their little faces and I agree that they have a greater propensity to learn/feel than a lot of other reptiles (except maybe monitors - especially the larger varieties) which is an awesome experience.

As for whether or not I like other herps? I think my signature says it all. :)

I have to agree with Meg in saying that it really bothers me that someone would equate snakes with evil. I happen to know I'M certainly not evil and if I keep and love my snakes and THEY are evil then that would mean I have to be as well. Not on my signature (I was running out of room!) are my 0.1.0 Ball python and my 0.1.0 Childrens python and I can assure you that both of them are very shy, quiet, sweet snakes - the latter being almost as inquisitive as a tortoise. These guys operate on instinct and are not in any way, shape, or form evil.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
So funny this question was asked.. :p Because I keep having people/family ask what in the world do you and Abby see in that thing??.. Its a shell with legs!!.. Abbys first and only reply is JUST look at his cute Wittle face.. I guess she figures if they can't see the beauty in him then oh well its their loss...

As most of you know I am very new to the world of torts, it wasn't long ago that Waldo walked into our lives. But since he has been here I can see the affect he has on Abby (she has ADHD, but with our choice of no meds) and can't sit still if you duck tapped her a chair :p .. But when it comes to Waldo, she goes into slow mode. She makes sure he has everything that he needs then sits and watches him eat, walk, smile (she swears he can smile. lol) My husband and oldest daughter just don't get Waldo and the affect he has on Abby and myself.. I can actually feel the stress melt away when sitting with him. How can something so small be so amazing?

Now when it comes to snakes, my oldest and myself have had a few ball pythons over the years. Then it got to the point of I couldn't bear having to feed another animal to them.. It broke my heart, and then once my daughter got her pet Rat that was it.. No more feeding the snakes. lol.. So we re-homed them with a great friend. Not scared of them, even had a HUGE King snake that lived in our front yard for many many years at our other home. He was funny. If he was in the way of the mower he would just lay there and wait for me to pick him up to move him to a safe place.. I welcomed him, since water-moccasins would come up from the back pond, and King snakes kill and eat them.. So he was a very welcome guest..

Funny my oldest daughter has had snakes, frogs, lizards, hermit crabs and hedge hogs but she just doesn't see what we see in Waldo.. :( To each his own I guess.. lol.

OH and The Movie.. The Dark Crystal.. (Jim Henson) The Mystics always reminded me of torts, So for me I guess they are Mystical!!

Terry your post made my heart smile.. I am so very happy for you. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Everyone who has met or seen videos of my Trevor has fallen in love with him--even those who don't like torts, reptiles, etc. Torts have a lot more personality than people think.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I am sorry I upset some of you with my statement about snakes. I didn't say, nor do I think, that snakes ARE evil nor that their owners are evil. It is a psychological thing with me, I guess. They just remind me of the devil and sin, even tho they are one of God's creatures.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.